Teaching in Oz

jo90

Hiya! :D

I'm a primary school teaching hoping to migrate to QLD. I've just been on a website which said all teachers must do 'country service' which means you can be moved anywhere in a state for 5 years. Does anyone have anymore info on this. I have a 2 year old girl so would really like to settle in an area of my choosing.

Cheers Jo x

Guest spray21

I have heard about this but I had not heard it was compulsory. Do remember that even if there is a rule like this it would only apply to state schools any way, so there would still be the indie option.

Also be aware that although teachers are always needed there is no desperate shortage of primary teachers (or secondary in most subjects) in Oz - there are people over there struggling to find jobs. Not trying to put you off, just a 'heads up'. Good luck with it!

Cheers for the reply! :lol:

Still gonna chance it - fingers crossed they'll see what fantastic teachers we have in England and snap us up!

If we go over on a skilled visa as a teacher can I then find a job in another area or does it have to be teaching??? Sorry if that sounds a silly question but I'm getting more confused the more I look into things.

Cheers again!

Jo x

Guest spray21

I'm not 100% sure, I have a different type of visa, but I think that if you have a skilled visa you are allowed to then do whatever work you want.

But I could be wrong!

Have you looked at http://www.britishexpats.com at all? There is a forum on there specifically about teaching, and also one about Australia - might be worth a look if you don't find the info on here.

Hiya!

Just noticed you're soon to be moving to NSW! Where about's are you moving too??? We had our hearts set on QLD but since talking to friends who know people who live in Oz they've said NSW is the place to be!

Jo x

Guest spray21

We're going to the Hunter Valley initially - a couple of hours north of Sydney, it's a wine region! :)

Not sure exactly where we will live but in that area.

It does look lovely and I've heard lots of good things about it.

Possibly an easier climate to live in than Queensland?

• 1 year later...
Guest Judith817

hi there Jo!

I too am a primary school teacher and wanting to go to Brisbane with my 2 girls and partner and was also confused about the teaching side of this..I read that about moving anywhere in state & thought that would be impossible to keep moving around!! Where in UK are you?

I dont have any info just to say that I also read it the same as you & found it quite bizarre!!! If you find out anything give me a shout!!!

Take care

Judith :smile:

Hi,

I too am a primary school teacher. (yey!) I worked as a casual relief teacher in QLD in 2003/4 on my working hol visa. I worked as Casual Relief Teacher (after I had registered with the Queensland Teahing Board ) and got heaps of work through 'Tracer'. 'Tracer' is the teacher supply unit provided by Education Queensland. I also visited most of the local schools and dropped off my CV. If you go on the Education Queensland website and access the Frequently Asked Questions section, it talks about country service and you can access maps as to where these country areas are.

If you are in a position to work as a supply teacher then I dont think you need to do Country Service. (I think!?!)

Dugong

Guest Judith817

Hi Dugong!

Thanx for your reply...I am just going to check out the website FAQs that you recommended and then maybe email them saying Im a teacher but as they can see very CONFUSED.COM!!!

Are you still in Oz or back in good ol' sunny UK?? Were the kids ok in Oz and the Curriculum similar at all?

Judith:jiggy:

Hi judith,

I'm in the Uk at the moment. Our visa came through last week!! The kids in oz were great..to be fair I didn't delve into the curric. that much...more often than not the teacher had left work for me to do. The kids were really interested in England though and what it was like, especially snow!

Obviously now its a bit more important that I look at the Key Learning Areas of the Oz curriculum in a bit more detail!

I hope the ED. Queensland site helped you.

Dugong

Archived