How to explain why you are going home

Guest Aldo

For those returning to the uk, how did you go about telling your aussie friends/colleagues that you have had enough of their beloved country without coming across as rude? So far the responses i have got have ranged from "yeah but why" repeated over and over until i had to threaten him with physical violence and a lot of blank faces with looks of pure shock that someone could not love Australia..

I'm sure that they would understand if you just said you missed your family

When are you coming back?

when house is sold

when house is sold

Same problem as us leaving here. Have you advertised your house on here as lots of people going to Brisbane !

Guest Jaynie
I'm sure that they would understand if you just said you missed your family

When are you coming back?

I agree...most Aussies are proud of their country as we are of Great Britain, how many times have you been asked "Would you go back there to live?" I get asked it all the time, but for me the answer is easy......I wouldn't.

However it is hard when you want to return, you have a couple of choices......firstly don't tell anyone anything, just sell your house and go back, and if you feel the need to explain, just say 'Family reasons' and don't elaborate on this, hopefully that should satisfy most peoples curiousity.

Good luck Aldo and hope your house sells quickly for you. Are you going back to Spain or UK?

I agree...most Aussies are proud of their country as we are of Great Britain, how many times have you been asked "Would you go back there to live?" I get asked it all the time, but for me the answer is easy......I wouldn't.

However it is hard when you want to return, you have a couple of choices......firstly don't tell anyone anything, just sell your house and go back, and if you feel the need to explain, just say 'Family reasons' and don't elaborate on this, hopefully that should satisfy most peoples curiousity.

Good luck Aldo and hope your house sells quickly for you. Are you going back to Spain or UK?

I couldn't just do a moonlight flip, i've grown quite fond of some of my aussie mates and they deserve more than that.

Guest Jaynie
I couldn't just do a moonlight flip, i've grown quite fond of some of my aussie mates and they deserve more than that.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help to you Aldo, but from the posts you have written and your dislike of Australia I was not aware that you had Aussie mates that you are fond of.

I wasn't meaning to be unhelpful, just not aware of your cirumstances.

Yes it must be hard having to explain to people why you want to leave Australia and sorry I can't give you the advice you need here.

For most things in life I think honesty is the best policy. You don't have to be rude; you can just say that you see your future as being back in the U.K. and that you miss some of the things back home.

I always say because I miss my family...no matter how patriotic people are they can understand this... I have told many people Im moving back and all have been positive towards me...although they all say " You'll be back" .At this point I roll around the floor pi$$ing myself laughing.

I think people genuinely understand the family reasons, also that you don't hate australia per se but that it's just not somewhere that you've felt settled and at home. It proves though, what a hard thing moving back is ... you've obviiously made some good friends there too. You could also blame it on 'the wife' lol

Ali

Guest JoanneHattersley

HA! HA! Has Ali been watching again!!!!!

Re: Your issue Aldo....you know what, I`d go with the honesty thing!

If Aussies cant handle it tough **** ! I think you are the bigger person for having to guts to stand up and say "you know what, it really aint for me!"

Good on ya and good luck in whatever you do!

Guest earlswood
For those returning to the uk, how did you go about telling your aussie friends/colleagues that you have had enough of their beloved country without coming across as rude? So far the responses i have got have ranged from "yeah but why" repeated over and over until i had to threaten him with physical violence and a lot of blank faces with looks of pure shock that someone could not love Australia..

Just tell them that you think

There is an incredible amount of grafitti and vandalism and litter in Perth especially in and towards the suburbs…everywhere you look something has grafitti on it or something is vandalized. I guess grafitti and vandalism aren’t crimes here (by the way I like graffeti...something to look at) . The train ride from the suburbs to the city is like something from the third world. The suburbs are an endless sea of monotonous, cookie cutter run down red brick bungalows. People don’t bother to maintain their homes and yards…everything is run down…and to top it off they have a habit here of parking their cars on their front grass which is really charming. . Aussies like to fight too.I went to a barlast week and wanted to play pool but we were told they couldn’t give out the cues as fights will break out and people will beat each other with the cues…:biglaugh:

Guest barab

I'm sure I read somewhere before you are returning to be back home with friends and family,I think that is a reason that cannot be argued with.

I don't think your Ausie workmates will be unreasonable with you if you tell them that.

This is my prime reason for moving back among others,and most of my Aussie workmates totally understand this.

There is a couple of have said"Jeez your giving up paradise to go back there?" I just say yes I know(neither have ever been outside Australia!!)

The thing is your going back to a great country knowing that the grass is not greener.

All the best with the house sale.

Archived