schools in bunbury

Guest sm68

Hi all in Bunbury

Moving to Bunbury in November, youngest son is 11 although he is going to primary school i am looking into secondary schools at the moment. Can any one give me advice on which public secondary school to look at? as both Newton Moore and Bunbury Senior schools seemed to look okay.

Also is there is any areas to avoid in renting in Bunbury?

Thanks

Sandie

Guest gwendaline

Hi Sandie,

Can help if you let me know what your sons interests are - that does make a big difference in what school to choose. Also, Private education here is not the prices as in the UK, private school fees are very affordable...

The schools you have mentioned, if your son is easily swayed into the "bad" circles etc...reconsider your choices. Could go on and on, just let me know about your SON and hope to help.

not too sure about schools it will depend what area you live in. They are building a new high school in Dalyellup which will be fairly small for the first few years so that might be a good start for him and its a nice area, nice families etc.

There's also a church school in Dalyellup and a private school near Gelorup which is about a five minute drive away and has a very good reputation.

Avoid renting mmmm that's a hard one but know people here don't like Carey Park as its considered rough. Never really driven in there as you don't need to go there unless you live there but from what I hear its one of the rougher estates here but depending where you come from in the UK you may not think it too rough....each person has a different level of what they think is rough and what isn't so hard to advise.

Hi Sandie,

Can help if you let me know what your sons interests are - that does make a big difference in what school to choose. Also, Private education here is not the prices as in the UK, private school fees are very affordable...

The schools you have mentioned, if your son is easily swayed into the "bad" circles etc...reconsider your choices. Could go on and on, just let me know about your SON and hope to help.

Hi Gwendaline

My son loves swimming, playing football and game consoles which will be less when we get over to Bunbury as he loves being outside but the weather in UK is terrible. I would say he is not easily swayed but things change when they go to secondary school! Oldest son went to private school (as husband in the army) so know the sysytem can be better if the child wants to learn, I would love nothing better to send him to private school but will have to see what money is spare and what job my husband gets as I am the main sponser.

Have you got children? How old are they?

I suppose it all depends on the area we will rent in what school he goes to.

I hope to live near the hospital as hopefully I will be able to walk or bike.

If you have any web sites or can recommend a primary and secondary school it would be much appreciated.

Got offer for the house last week hopefully all sorted out by 15th Sept. Agency said visa should be through in next couple of weeks cant wait as need to ship my furniture or but in storage before the 15th.

Kind regards

Sandie

If you need to walk or bike it to the hospital then I'd look at College Grove as it is the nearest to there. Carey Park is close but wouldn't recommend living there. The hospital is on the main highway and has buses during the day but public transport is not very good here so if you aren't living close you will definately need a car. Saying that my friend lives on the edge of Carey Park behind the Parks Shopping Centre and she said its fine and doesn't get any bother living there but the locals call it Scarey Park but I don't think its as rough as some of the estates we left behind in the UK to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sarah and Matt

We've got 2 children both in( primary) private school in Bunbury. Its manageable on a normal wage and, most importantly, leads into a better senior school. Lots of the mums at our children's school are local to Bunbury and went through the system here. The fact that they send their kids to the private schools to enable them to get into the private senior schools says it all really. From conversations with them Newton Moore is to be avoided. Not heard much about Bunbury Senior High but it really depends what your kids are into. A lot of the surf club kids go to Bunbury Senior High and they are really great kids - so it depends on the crowd (like anywhere in the world) your children get in with.

We live close to the Hospital complex and there is a bush walk directly from College Grove into the Hospital/He campus. Sticking to the main roads, its only a 5 minute cycle.

Archived