Moving from UK to Brisbane

MC2

Hi all. Myself and my family (two kids aged 4 and 7) have been back in the UK for 3 years but it’s just not working out for us. Previously we lived in Sydney for 7 years and we are considering moving back to Australia. My husband can get a job in Brisbane. What I’m after is info on areas to live in. In Sydney we lived a 5 minute walk to beautiful beaches and this is the life I envisage again but understand it may not be as easy as we’ve had it before. 
I would like to know of nice family friendly areas, good schools (state) that would be close to nice beaches. Thank you!

I'm also researching a move to Brisbane so take this all with a pinch of salt as I'm not a local: 

Brisbane doesn't really have beaches close to CBD, but it does have some a bit further out and some other places with nice waterfront but no beaches:

If you dead set on beaches then you could look at Redcliffe Peninsula which includes Redcliffe, Margate, Scarborough. This is quite far north of CBD - I think a train takes an hour. There are beaches galore in the gold coast to the south and to the sunshine coat to the north but the commute times aren't realistic for most people... Some do it but you'll either be on a long slow train or at the mercy of the Highway which regularly gets snarled up with long delays. 

South East of the CBD there is quite a few waterfront suburbs (but not really beaches) in places like Wynnum and Manly (both of which are popular with families), or further out at Birkdale, Wellington Point and Cleveland etc

Hope this helps - I'm also keen to see what others say...

• Like 2

On 23/04/2024 at 16:57, MC2 said:

Hi all. Myself and my family (two kids aged 4 and 7) have been back in the UK for 3 years but it’s just not working out for us. Previously we lived in Sydney for 7 years and we are considering moving back to Australia. My husband can get a job in Brisbane. What I’m after is info on areas to live in. In Sydney we lived a 5 minute walk to beautiful beaches and this is the life I envisage again but understand it may not be as easy as we’ve had it before. 
I would like to know of nice family friendly areas, good schools (state) that would be close to nice beaches. Thank you!

Would Hubby's job be in the CBD ? pinpointing where it will be will make it easier to suggest areas. As an example , you wouldn't want to settle in a far south suburb if the job is on the North side. Also would you be relying on public transport or have cars?

Cal x

On 23/04/2024 at 16:57, MC2 said:

The good news is that house prices in Brisbane are substantially lower than Sydney (for an equivalent property), so it may not be as hard as you think.  However the bad news is that Brisbane doesn't have beaches near the city like Sydney, so you're either up for a long commute or accept that you've got to drive to the beach on the weekends.