Glasgow

Cheery Thistle

Was always a bit grim up there in the winter.

Mate of mine who ping ponged from Melbourne back to Aberdeen described the moment he realised his error, still makes me chuckle as I can relate having spent a few years up there in the North East.

He was walking down Union Street in the winter, typical grey Aberdeen day in awful weather.   In his lunch hour, has a nice suit on.   He always had a bit of gallus swagger about him this boy, anyway out of nowhere some random Aberdonian jakey/Ned just comes right up to him and says 'who the f*ck you think YOU are'?   😅.

At this point he questions his decision to move back to this place  😁 

When he told me I found it funny and tragic at the same time as it really just sums up the worst part of the Scottish/British pysche (Im Scottish btw and yes this can happen anywhere but you get the point).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, welljock said:

I would assume she's talking about Union St in Glasgow

Didn’t even know there is one! When someone says Union St I think Aberdeen. 
I’m not a Weegie but have worked on and off for organisations based there. Duke St, Dixons Blazes and now off Clyde St. My knowledge of certain areas is good, of others it’s patchy! 

14 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Didn’t even know there is one! When someone says Union St I think Aberdeen. 
I’m not a Weegie but have worked on and off for organisations based there. Duke St, Dixons Blazes and now off Clyde St. My knowledge of certain areas is good, of others it’s patchy! 

It runs alongside Central station

Jeezo, some grim reading here. Was bad when we left but can see it's got a lot worse. It's a shame, like Cheery, I remember Glasgow during the late 90's early 2000's being absolutely buzzing. We're heading back for a trip around Easter so suppose we can see how bad it's gotten. Might be good because my wife is having her first wobble just after passing the 1 year mark here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daffyduck said:

Jeezo, some grim reading here. Was bad when we left but can see it's got a lot worse. It's a shame, like Cheery, I remember Glasgow during the late 90's early 2000's being absolutely buzzing. We're heading back for a trip around Easter so suppose we can see how bad it's gotten. Might be good because my wife is having her first wobble just after passing the 1 year mark here.

I have similar positive weegie memories late 90s early 00s.

glasgow green, the tunnel, the arches etc.   it was always seen as a better night out than the burgh for clubbing gigs and the like in those days.  Taxis were dirt cheap compared to the capital.  Also better for shopping for those who like their clobber.

whilst I’m commenting from afar here  in Oz it does seem that Edinburgh is starting to assert dominance as the eminent city in Scotland - busiest airport, will overtake glasgow to be Scotland biggest city in around 15 years or something ?  

We have friends here in Adelaide from Glasgow/ayrshire  and they say it’s pretty depressing there now on visits home.

as I’ve said before I never felt this on recent visits to Edinburgh - seemed to be doing fine from what I could see

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

It’s a wee bit sad. It was always gritty but vibrant. Now we just have the gritty lol. 
They are also knocking down Buchanan Galleries and St Enochs and Fraser’s is clinging on for dear life. Both Fraser’s and Jenners closed in Edinburgh. 
Let’s hope it’s another evolution for Glasgow and things will get better. 
https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/people/st-enoch-centre-and-buchanan-galleries-plans-mark-end-of-an-era-for-glasgow-city-centre-3650547

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2024 at 04:16, Daffyduck said:

Let me know what you think! Interested to see if I’m being dramatic or not.