491 - How are teachers treated?

key565

How are 491 visa holders treated when applying for state schools positions?  

Am i holding myself and family back by applying for a 491? I have 60 days to pay for the fees or I can apply to the same state under a 190. 

I am worried that I will hold my family back by accepting. I JUST want reassurance that we won't be treated like 3rd class citizens 

9 hours ago, key565 said:

How are 491 visa holders treated when applying for state schools positions?  

Am i holding myself and family back by applying for a 491? I have 60 days to pay for the fees or I can apply to the same state under a 190. 

I am worried that I will hold my family back by accepting. I JUST want reassurance that we won't be treated like 3rd class citizens 

You should probably get professional advice from an RMA, but given the huge demand for teachers nationally at the moment you'd be selling yourself short by applying for a 491. Everyone teacher I know who's applied for a 190 recently has had it granted, and some have been invited to apply for 189s almost straight away (which were also granted).

There are a lot of restrictions with being a temporary resident which will make migrating to Australia a far more costly experience in the long run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, key565 said:

I have 60 days to accept for NSW. Can i apply for a 190 with them and wait? i think i was a bit eager considering. 

I think you probably were, and I think you should discuss your next move with an RMA. I wouldn't know whether if you refused the offer it might affect your chances of obtaining another visa, so it's worth establishing that first. A bird in hand, and all that.

To answer your initial question, being on the 491 shouldn't affect your chances when applying for state school positions. You will still have the right to work legally in Australia for the duration of your visa, which should hopefully lead to PR. I've know people who've worked on contract in state schools who were here on working holiday visas.

• Like 1