173 to 143 visa

Rawp

Hi, the 173 visa allows 2 years in Australia. You have to apply for a 143 within that 2 years if you want permanent residency. My question, if I apply for the 143 do I have to leave Australia after the 2 years on the 173 are up. Or does applying for 143 allow me to stay in Australia till the 143 is processed? The 143 can take up to 12 years to process so that would mean a potential 10 year gap.

You'll stay in Australia and will be on a bridging visa for the intervening years.   A lot of parents are doing this now, but be aware that there are downsides.

I'm sure you already know that within six months of making the move, you will become a non-resident of the UK and lose your right to the NHS and benefits there. Your UK government pension will be frozen at the figure it was when you left.

However on the bridging visa, you won't be a permanent resident of Australia either, and therefore not entitled to the rights and privileges of a permanent resident. Fortunately, because you were a UK resident, you'll be covered by Medicare under the reciprocal agreement.   Any other benefits available to Australian pensioners won't be available to you, e.g. subsidised prescriptions. 

If you feel you want private health insurance, you don't have access to the policies available to permanent residents. There are special policies available for people on bridging visas.

If you want to buy property, you'll need to apply to FIRB for special permission (for a fee).  You will have to pay a surcharge on the purchase price (about $45,000 on a $500,000 property). 

It's very important to be aware that the bridging visa allows you to live IN Australia. It does not allow you to ENTER Australia. If you wish to leave at any time, even for a short holiday, you must apply for a BVB, which will allow you back into Australia after your trip.  If you don't get a BVB  before travel, or you have one but stay beyond your planned date of return, you won't be allowed to enter Australia even if your home is now here.  If you're not intending to travel much once you're in Australia, that won't be a big deal but just needs careful planning when you do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You'll stay in Australia and will be on a bridging visa for the intervening years.   A lot of parents are doing this now, but be aware that there are downsides.

I'm sure you already know that within six months of making the move, you will become a non-resident of the UK and lose your right to the NHS and benefits there. Your UK government pension will be frozen at the figure it was when you left.

However on the bridging visa, you won't be a permanent resident of Australia either, and therefore not entitled to the rights and privileges of a permanent resident. Fortunately, because you were a UK resident, you'll be covered by Medicare under the reciprocal agreement.   Any other benefits available to Australian pensioners won't be available to you, e.g. subsidised prescriptions. 

If you feel you want private health insurance, you don't have access to the policies available to permanent residents. There are special policies available for people on bridging visas.

If you want to buy property, you'll need to apply to FIRB for special permission (for a fee).  You will have to pay a surcharge on the purchase price (about $45,000 on a $500,000 property). 

It's very important to be aware that the bridging visa allows you to live IN Australia. It does not allow you to ENTER Australia. If you wish to leave at any time, even for a short holiday, you must apply for a BVB, which will allow you back into Australia after your trip.  If you don't get a BVB  before travel, or you have one but stay beyond your planned date of return, you won't be allowed to enter Australia even if your home is now here.  If you're not intending to travel much once you're in Australia, that won't be a big deal but just needs careful planning when you do.

Most informative. Thanks ever so much for the information. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...