190 Skilled visa

Rachandian

Hey guys , 

So my partner is 39 - he's 40 in April. 

He's a skilled fabricator /welder . He gains 65 points  (age getting us down ) 

Am I right in saying we can do his skills assessment and put in our EOI in whilst working towards the English test ? He's not academically clever and we have read how hard it is so will need to study . Given He's 40 in April it really doesn't give us much time . 

Any information on what we need to provide for the skills assessment would also be beneficial.  We have been in touch with his employer he worked for on Aus in 2014 and they will gladly give him a reference too . 

Thankyou 

2 hours ago, Rachandian said:

Am I right in saying we can do his skills assessment and put in our EOI in whilst working towards the English test ?

Yes, in theory, provided he has a UK passport, but you can only claim the points for English when he actually has the score in hand after the test, so it may not make sense or even be possible to do this. 

Edited by paulhand

3 hours ago, Rachandian said:

Am I right in saying we can do his skills assessment and put in our EOI in whilst working towards the English test ?

As Paul says, I wouldn't recommend it.  Some people wait a long time to get invited to apply, but sometimes, it's a very quick turnaround.  He doesn't want to submit his EOI, get invited and then find he can't apply because he can't get his English test done in time.

19 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Yes, in theory, provided he has a UK passport, but you can only claim the points for English when he actually has the score in hand after the test, so it may not make sense or even be possible to do this. 

Thanks for replying.  

So we really are unsure if he will pass the English test . This is so hard . Is 65 points not enough for  a skilled visa ? 

55 minutes ago, Rachandian said:

So we really are unsure if he will pass the English test . This is so hard . Is 65 points not enough for  a skilled visa ? 

The visa process is exactly like applying for a job.  It's a competition.  The job ad sets out what the minimum requirements are, but the employer will, naturally, prefer a candidate who exceeds those requirements.  Similarly, 65 points is the minimum, but Immigration will, naturally, prefer candidates who exceed that score.  

Just a few years ago, there were so many people applying for visas, you didn't stand a chance unless you could score over 90. In the past year or two, people with 65 points have been successful. So it changes.  An agent (like Paul Hand) has more access to inside information, but he doesn't do this for a hobby -- if you want his professional advice, you'll need to book a consultation and pay for it.  Which, in the circumstances, I'd advise you to do -- time isn't on your side so you don't have time to dither about, trying to find information on the internet.

In another post, you mentioned that you're both on the skilled list.  Have you looked into how many points you could get?  Remember, one of you will be the main applicant and the other is just included on the application.   So if you can score higher points, you would apply and he just gets included, then his points aren't an issue.

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

As Paul says, I wouldn't recommend it.  Some people wait a long time to get invited to apply, but sometimes, it's a very quick turnaround.  He doesn't want to submit his EOI, get invited and then find he can't apply because he can't get his English test done in time.

It’s  not a case of ‘getting it done in time’.  Points (other than the ones for partners) are locked in at the time of invitation and must be the same or greater than originally claimed in the EOI otherwise the visa is refused. So, once an invitation is received, it’s too late to sit the test.  

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

It’s  not a case of ‘getting it done in time’.  Points (other than the ones for partners) are locked in at the time of invitation and must be the same or greater than originally claimed in the EOI otherwise the visa is refused. So, once an invitation is received, it’s too late to sit the test.  

Thanks for clarifying.  Actually I thought that was the case, but your first answer said it could be done in theory, so that confused me.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks for clarifying.  Actually I thought that was the case, but your first answer said it could be done in theory, so that confused me.

Sorry … ‘in theory’ because as a U.K. (or Ireland/US/Canada/NZ) passport holder you are deemed to have ‘competent’ English, which is enough to apply but scores zero points. 

• Like 1