My New Zealand driving license

Kramvi

Hi moderator,

This might be the most appropriate category to post this topic but if not please transfer it the appropriate one.  

I had an Australian driving license about 10 years ago.  Then moved to New Zealand.  I am a NZ citizen now and have a license that is expiring next month.  Before that I plan to move to OZ.  

The question I have is this.  Would it be better for me to, after arriving in OZ, to try to renew the OZ license after 10 years or should I renew the NZ license first and transfer it after going to OZ.  Which one would be more convenient and less expensive?  Any help will be appreciated.  

This will be state dependent, really.  As an example, in Victoria, you can't renew a licence that's expired by more than five years: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/renew-your-licence#:~:text=If%20your%20licence%20is%20expired,meets%20the%20Licence%20photo%20requirements.  So in that case, you'd need to do an exchange with your New Zealand licence.

If you're arriving in Australia prior to the NZ licence expiring (as suggested above), I'd suggest just exchanging on arrival.  If not, then certainly in the case of Victoria, you'd need to renew your New Zealand licence and then do the exchange.  I can't speak for other states or territories, but I imagine their respective Roads Dept websites will have details on hand for how they handle such situations.