Question re visa 494 and PR

RossMac

Hi, I’m currently 43 and might have a potential job and sponsor to move from UK to Perth.

Looking at 494 visa which is a 5 year visa with PR application possible after 3 years. I’ve read you need to be under 45 to apply for PR. So if I got a 494 visa at 43 I’m 46 after 3 years. 

Or is it taken from when you apply for initial visa? If not then technically you would need to be under 42 when apply for a working visa that requires 3 years work before PR is possible?

Thanks for any info, been reading loads on this forum after finding it. Very helpful 😃

Hi RossMac. We are on a 494 visa and although the age situation isn’t relevant to us we have seen a lot of discussions about it for those on a 494 or 491.

Everything we’ve read indicates that there is no age limit for the 191 visa (PR visa after 494/491) and you can apply for it providing you’ve held an eligible visa and met the conditions of that visa in order to apply for PR. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RossMac said:

Hi, I’m currently 43 and might have a potential job and sponsor to move from UK to Perth.

Looking at 494 visa which is a 5 year visa with PR application possible after 3 years. I’ve read you need to be under 45 to apply for PR. So if I got a 494 visa at 43 I’m 46 after 3 years. 

Or is it taken from when you apply for initial visa?

Congrats on the offer.  Like JZT, I believe it's the age when you apply for the 494 that matters. However in something as important as this, I wouldn't rely on a forum for advice.  Even with an employer-sponsored visa, it's wise to get your own migration agent to represent your interests.  At the very least, book a one-off consultation with someone to make sure you've got all your facts straight.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JZT said:

Everything we’ve read indicates that there is no age limit for the 191 visa (PR visa after 494/491)

57 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Like JZT, I believe it's the age when you apply for the 494 that matters.

Correct, but as Marisa says, it would be a good idea to get some advice independent of a potential employer.

• Like 1