Travelling alone with children

jhog90

Hey folks 

I’ll soon be travelling alone with my children to Australia when we move. My partner is emigrating also but joining us a few months later (he’s staying here fir 3 months and moving back in with his parents to save a bit). Do I need his “permission” to travel with our kids alone? Is there anything with UK or Australian border authorities need? We are together and live together. Googling is a bit confusing as all the advice I can see is pertaining to parents who are separated/divorced and have custody agreements. For context I am Australian and a naturalised British citizen. Both our children are Australian and British nationals. My partner is British, and will be entering on a spouse visa.

Apologies if this is the right forum, wasn’t sure which exactly was most relevant to my query. 

TIA

FWIW, I used to travel out of the UK for work regularly, and sometimes my wife would travel alone with our child from the UK to meet me, so that we could tack on a family holiday. No-one ever asked questions at either end.

My impression was that, in the absence of a dispute from the other parent, the UK border officials only got worked up if the mother's surname didn't match the child's surname. If you are concerned about it, could your partner write a letter to remove all doubt?

I also can't comment on the legal position, and it is sensible for you to look into that rather than have a nasty surprise.

I can share my experience.  Over the last 20 years my wife has travelled from the UK at least 3 times without me and never been asked a question about it.   She would have been travelling on an Australian passport and the kids on UK passports.  She had a return ticket each time.

ONE time we did get asked was on the way home in Sydney. We were both present and the youngest (then 11) was super upset at the emotional goodbyes with the family at the security gate and crying her eyes out.  They gently but insistently questioned her about whether we were both her parents etc.  Quickly dealt with.

Edited by FirstWorldProblems