Are gains in a super fund taxable if the holder becomes Australian non-resident, but then returns?

InnerVoice

If an Australian citizen moves overseas and becomes non-resident for Australian tax purposes, are any gains accumulated in their super fund taxable? In this scenario I'm assuming that no new money will be added to the fund whilst the holder is overseas, and no withdrawals will be made from the fund until after they return to Australia.

Hi

Superannuation entities pay tax at a rate of between 10% - 15% on earnings whislt in accumulation phase and 0% whilst in Pension Phase (exc Transition to Retirement Income Stream (TRIS)).

Where a member residens is irrelevant from this point of view.

However I am not entirely sure if this is what your question is asking? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

If an Australian citizen moves overseas and becomes non-resident for Australian tax purposes, are any gains accumulated in their super fund taxable?

While the money is sitting in the super fund, you're not liable for tax on the balance.  So it doesn't matter where you're living.   

Note that assumes it's not a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) as you can't be a trustee of a SMSF if you move overseas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

While the money is sitting in the super fund, you're not liable for tax on the balance.  So it doesn't matter where you're living.   

Note that assumes it's not a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) as you can't be a trustee of a SMSF if you move overseas.

Thanks for the clarification, Marisa - it's QSuper, so just a regular fund.

4 hours ago, Andrew from Vista Financial said:

Hi

Superannuation entities pay tax at a rate of between 10% - 15% on earnings whislt in accumulation phase and 0% whilst in Pension Phase (exc Transition to Retirement Income Stream (TRIS)).

Where a member residens is irrelevant from this point of view.

However I am not entirely sure if this is what your question is asking? 

Hi Andrew, I was just wondering if any uncrystallized earnings from the fund would be deemed taxable if the fund holder was non-resident, but that doesn't seem to be the case

On 08/07/2023 at 17:17, InnerVoice said:

Hi Andrew, I was just wondering if any uncrystallized earnings from the fund would be deemed taxable if the fund holder was non-resident, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Hi

Correct from an Australian point of view then no that is not the case.

However that's not to say that will be the case for the country that you are liiving in so would be prudent to do some investigations if you are looking to move away.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1