Ileosomy and Working Holiday Visa

IrishStoma

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about moving to Australia from Ireland sometime at the beginning of next year on a working holiday visa. My only concern is that I have ulcerative colitis and as a result of that, an end ileostomy.

Despite having both of these, I am in good health overall. Since having the subtotal colectomy in September 2021 I have had no heath issues or hospital trips and the only thing I require is my prescriptions for the stoma supplies.

I was wondering if this will be an issue when applying for a visa and what the options are for obtaining stoma supplies in Australia. I currently pay €80 a month on them now and would be happy to continue paying.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm no expert on this matter so the following information is from a bit of Googling etc...

'Applicants for an Australian working holiday visa (subclass 417 or 462) are generally not required to undergo a medical examination as part of the visa application process. However, please note that immigration policies and requirements can change over time. It's always a good idea to consult the official website of the Department of Home Affairs for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding visa requirements, including any potential medical assessments.'

Australia has an Stoma Appliance Scheme which provides fully-subsidised stoma appliances and products to people who have a stoma or fistula. If I have read the information correctly then I think you might be able to access this for free. Please see below.

To be eligible for free stoma appliances and products under the scheme, you must have a stoma and have a current:

• Medicare or Department of Veterans’ Affairs number if living in Australia
  • Australian Reciprocal Medicare number if you usually live in a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country, or
  • passport number if you usually live in New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.

Here's a link to the government website where I found this information. I would be inclined to get in touch with them in advance to find out how it all works.

https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/stoma-appliance-scheme

The requirements for temporary visas are not as strict as for PR. You will most likely get a working holiday visa without issue. 
Your post indicates though that you intend to move to Australia permanently. This May then be an issue. I assume you have looked at visas that allow you to stay permanently and that you should be able to qualify. Medicals are strict for these visas and take into consideration two main things. The cost over the first 10 years (assumes no private health care) and prognosis based on medical reports and the access to care (if resources are limited).  

• Like 1