Visitor visa advice.

Daffyduck

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to give me a steer on something.

My father in law was wanting to visit us here in SA. He applied for a 600 visa as he had been arrested and charged several years ago. He had an argument with his wife and she phoned the police, he was admonished by the court but didn't receive a fine or any other kind of sentence. It showed up on his police certificate as "admonished:domestic abuse agregator".

He's since been told that his visa application has been referred to VACCU to make sure he meets the character requirements. Apparently, this can take up to a year with no guarantee if success.

He's 73 with terminal cancer (health checks were okay for tourist visa) is there any way to speed this up and ask them to take into account his health/age?

Someone at work said to tell him to withdraw his application and just apply for an electronic tourist visa but I'm pretty sure this would flag up and just get him banned from entering.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to give me a steer on something.

My father in law was wanting to visit us here in SA. He applied for a 600 visa as he had been arrested and charged several years ago. He had an argument with his wife and she phoned the police, he was admonished by the court but didn't receive a fine or any other kind of sentence. It showed up on his police certificate as "admonished:domestic abuse agregator".

He's since been told that his visa application has been referred to VACCU to make sure he meets the character requirements. Apparently, this can take up to a year with no guarantee if success.

He's 73 with terminal cancer (health checks were okay for tourist visa) is there any way to speed this up and ask them to take into account his health/age?

Someone at work said to tell him to withdraw his application and just apply for an electronic tourist visa but I'm pretty sure this would flag up and just get him banned from entering.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated 

Unless he is going to lie, he can't apply for an electronic tourist visa. He would need to admit to having that record anyway. 

I hate to tell you this, but the real bad news is the actual offence, which you say appears on his certificate as "admonished:domestic abuse agregator". Anything to do with domestic violence is an instant very large red flag with immigration. I had to consult an agent recently for a friend who had been falsely accused of a minor incident of domestic violence, and while the agent was willing to take on the case, he advised the chances of success were very slim to zero, as even if the court appeal cleared my friend of the offence, he would still need to admit to being charged with it. He quoted us a substantial figure to take on the case (several thousand $$) and said it would probably take 2-3 years with virtually no chance of success.  The offence was so ridiculous that in most countries, including the UK and Australia, it would have been thrown out long before it reached the court. 

Having been through all that only last year, I have to say I agree with InnerVoice, go to the UK and visit him there. Asking for health/age to be taken into account won't do any good. Its the tag "domestic abuse" which is the problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daffyduck said:

Thanks both, appreciate the advice. Sounds like it's a done deal. Even if he did just apply for the electronic visitor visa I'm guessing it would flag up on the system anyway now.

He cannot apply for the electronic visa with that record of domestic abuse, unless he lies about it.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#Eligibility

And even if he lies abut it, the system will almost certainly link it to the existing application. 

11 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

He cannot apply for the electronic visa with that record of domestic abuse, unless he lies about it.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#Eligibility

And even if he lies abut it, the system will almost certainly link it to the existing application. 

Had expected that would be the case, thanks again for the information, it's much appreciated.