Storage - long term

jicms

Hi. We moved over here nine months ago and our whole home contents were delivered into storage while we're renting which we hoped would be fairly short-term. Although we've had to replace so many items our place isn't big enough to move everything in so we've decided to manage without. We've now bought land so will be building our home which will take around two years. The storage price is non-negotiable for long-term storage as I'd hoped it might be. Does anyone know of reliable companies that might give a better rate?  We have to weigh up any saving against the included delivery and packaging removal we've already paid for. Doesn't seem to be a comparison site for storage rates.

Are you storing with a removalist company, or in a self-storage unit?   I'd recommend considering moving it to a self-storage unit, because then you'll have the freedom to visit as often as you like, go through your stuff and get rid of things you no longer need.  As time goes on, you might then be able to downsize to a smaller unit. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Apologies Marisa, I didn't realise I had a reply! 

Our home contents are with the removals company allocated to us by PSS.  Self-storage might be useful to access some of our stuff but the cost seems to be similar.  In theory going through and disposing of stuff would be great but I can't see us getting round to doing it.

Unless we can find a cheap self-storage there may not be any saving as when we eventually move into our house the removal company will deliver everything and take away the packaging (although no idea how much time they allow you to unpack!) We could of course get them to move it to the self-storage unit then pay for the final move and packaging removal ourselves.