Cities in Australia

Cheery Thistle

21 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I live in Sydney, the only people I know that are moving to Canberra are those that love Sydney but can no longer afford it.

They are all gutted to be leaving the main city - the one the entire globe considers to be Australia

Australia is (to the world)

Kangaroo

Koala

Hot

Opera House

Bridge

All easily got within 3 km of Sydney CBD, nowhere else can claim that

Hot?  It always sodding rains when I visit Sydney!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

But most people don't select  their location in Australia based on the narrow,    often ignorant (and mistaken) view of the country by foreigners who have never visited.   Kangaroos, koalas, heat, an opera house and bridge don't contribute to daily quality of life for most people - they are holiday attractions.

There is nothing more insular in Australia than Sydneysiders who consider that Sydney is Australia and somehow superior to every other place in the country.  It isn't.  It suits some people  but it's anathema to others.  Internal migration stats show that it's consistently been losing 30,000+ residents annually to other parts of Australia  - and they're not all leaving for affordability.

I suppose a flip of the coin those living in Sydney would state the same with regards to those (insular) living in other far flung outposts of The Commonwealth of Australia. Possible exception being Melbourne of course. 

Sydney, like London and Paris and a host of principle nation cities around the world share this common critique. Internal migration impacts all these cities. Quite simply they are places to cash out of in due course, either due to massive property inflation, allowing the owner to cash in and perhaps head into early retirement with the lucre left over , grow ones profession and move to less expensive location, or indeed flee (common in London) to locations where could probably afford (with luck) the purchase of a house. 

This is to a large part purely economic reasons. Not because they don't continue to think Sydney, London, Paris etc don't continue to offer things that only a city of a certain status can offer, but situations change, people care less for the excitement and seek another lifestyle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

It's the same mentality that Londoners have in thinking that they are somehow better than everyone else because they live in 'the capital', whilst spending half their lives commuting, living in an overcrowded polluted environment, and leading an unaffordable lifestyle just to keep up with the Joneses.

No thanks.

It wasn't always like that. (I recall when it was still a working class city)  London (these days) still offers very high salaries if in the right area of employment. It most certainly is not well rounded though or inclusive. But commuting? Those living in the Home Counties maybe. But London has probably the best public transport system in the world . It's just a shame it is expensive to use. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

It wasn't always like that. (I recall when it was still a working class city)  London (these days) still offers very high salaries if in the right area of employment. It most certainly is not well rounded though or inclusive. But commuting? Those living in the Home Counties maybe. But London has probably the best public transport system in the world . It's just a shame it is expensive to use. 

It is quicker in a lot of cases to commute from the home counties then across London though.  At least it was until the Elizabeth line, might be better now.   Same in Sydney I guess, all road/trains/trams lead to the CBD.

On 01/05/2023 at 17:28, Jon the Hat said:

It is quicker in a lot of cases to commute from the home counties then across London though.  At least it was until the Elizabeth line, might be better now.   Same in Sydney I guess, all road/trains/trams lead to the CBD.

I've done both and found much of a muchness. Obviously depends on where boarding and alighting.  I found it equally hard to get a seat on either, but got lucky more times on London tube than rail. Not familiar with Sydney trains, and no experience at all during rush hours.