Pre-Empt Medical Information

bergerac14

We're getting closer to applying for our Visas, and are anticipating what information to bring to the medical.

My partner has Ulcerative Colitis, and we are assuming we're going to need a letter from the Consultant, detailing the disease, how it impacts day-to-day, medication and likely costs into the future for the MOC to make an assessment.

Id like to pre-emptively do this, as im sure it will take a while to get it so we can take it along to the appointment.

Does anyone have any information on what it should it definitely contain, to satisfy what they are most likely going to ask for?

Anyone that has had experience with this id love to hear from!

E

15 hours ago, bergerac14 said:

We're getting closer to applying for our Visas, and are anticipating what information to bring to the medical.

My partner has Ulcerative Colitis, and we are assuming we're going to need a letter from the Consultant, detailing the disease, how it impacts day-to-day, medication and likely costs into the future for the MOC to make an assessment.

Id like to pre-emptively do this, as im sure it will take a while to get it so we can take it along to the appointment.

Does anyone have any information on what it should it definitely contain, to satisfy what they are most likely going to ask for?

Anyone that has had experience with this id love to hear from!

E

When we went for medicals we were told the letter should include - illness/disorder, treatment/investigations, impact on day to day functioning and prognosis 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @Hollruss92

My partner recently completed his medical for a TSS 482 4-year visa. His e-medical was signed off the next working day.

Im sure you are aware of how they assess the health requirements, but heres a quick rundown (from my experience & research) You take a letter from the doctor / consultant who is caring for you partner, with all the key information in it: diagnosis, treatment & medication, prognosis etc. This gets supplied along with the panel doctors report. Immigration then take this info and if it gets flagged, it will get sent to immigrations health department where a Medical Officer of the Commonwealth will basically cost everything up. This will only be either the length of your visa (mine would have been costed for 4 years) or if you are applying for PR then it will be for a maximum of 10 years. If they deem it to be over a certain threshold (currently $51,000), then this will be deemed to be an excessive cost to Australia, and you would have to then look at health waivers (if one is availble for your visa)

From what i costed up, $51k is a significant amount of money, and you'd have to have very severe active collitis to be reaching this threshold. 

I spoke to the panel doctor about Colitis, and she said she hadn't heard of anyone being refused for colitis. Chrons was a different story.

I will add the usual caveat that if you have a health concern, you would be best to use a migration agent with experience of health issues. Some visas have health waivers available, other don't.

Fingers Crossed - but I think you'll be fine