189 visa education Uk to aus equivalent

Jonny0126

Hi there everyone,

sorry to be a pin but I’m after some advice please.

Filling in my 189 Visa application and really unsure of the education part and what my UK qualifications count as in Aus. 
I have a HNC in electrical engineering and an NVQ level 3 in electrical eng. 

I initially put HNC is equivalent to a diploma and NVQ3 is equivalent to a AQF cert IV which I read online. Does that sound correct from anyone with similar experiences?

I did find the below link which suggests the HNC is equivalent to a graduate certificate but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

https://www.kbatraining.org/docs/Qualification-Framework-Comparison-Chart.pdf

Thanks for anyones help

regards 

I can't answer your question, but don't you need to do a Skills Assessment first?  That would answer your question.  

I have a question for you.  How many points do you have?   You only need 65 points to apply for a 189 visa, but it's like a job application.  It's a contest. The job advertisement will state "minimum qualifications required" but the job will go to the person with the highest qualifications.  

Each year, only a small quota of 189 visas is handed out.  They pick the applicants with the highest points and ignore the rest.  For many years, there have been so many applicants with over 90 points, they fill the quota every single year. So if you don't have over 90 points, it's not even worth applying.

Actually it's even worse at the moment, because there's two years' worth of applications sitting in the queue (we call it a queue, but it's not really, because they cherry-pick the highest point scorers, it's not first-in first-served).  So it's likely that only people with 95 or 100 points will stand a chance.

So, check your point score first. If you don't have enough points, look at the 190 visa. Points are less important there.

And honestly, getting a visa is so complicated and hard these days, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.  If you can't afford to hire an agent to do the whole application, at least book a one-off consultation to get all your ducks in a row.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

44 minutes ago, Jonny0126 said:

I initially put HNC is equivalent to a diploma and NVQ3 is equivalent to a AQF cert IV which I read online. Does that sound correct from anyone with similar experiences?

Broadly speaking yes … but I agree with Marisa that you need some professional advice … if you’re filling in a 189 application, then (presumably) you have a skills assessment and English test In hand?