461 NZ family visa vs the 309/100 visa

Visa4oz

Hi, I'm just looking for some advise on what would be the best visa to apply for. Myself (irish) and my partner of 3 years (NZ citizen) are looking to move to Australia sometime in the next year or two. We currently live in New Zealand so will be applying for the visa from here but we're just not sure which one to apply for.

What are the main differences between the 461 NZ family visa and the 309/100 visa/ is there any benefit of applying for one over the other?

Thanks so much for any info you can give, I really appricate it! 

You can only apply for a 309 if your partner is what is called 'an eligible NZ citizen'.

This is not any New Zealander but one who was living in Australia on or prior to 26/2/2001.

Does your partner fit that category? If not, then you have no choice but to go for the 461 visa.

9 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You can only apply for a 309 if your partner is what is called 'an eligible NZ citizen'.

This is not any New Zealander but one who was living in Australia on or prior to 26/2/2001.

Does your partner fit that category? If not, then you have no choice but to go for the 461 visa.

Spot on …