UK Citizen living abroad moving back to UK.

NottmTex

Hi!

As the title reads, I am a UK citizen that has been living in Australia for 20 years. I am returning to the UK and just wondering if anyone has experience in doing so?

I can't apply to get a bank account or national insurance number until I get to the UK according to the government website.

My situation is also complex, I am returning to the UK but continuing to work for my employer in Australia part-time. My accountant has said to me to keep my residence in Australia for tax purposes.

Thanks!

Australian tax will generally be payable on earnings from an Australian employer to the extent those earnings relate to duties carried out in Australia, regardless of your tax residence status.

Not sure why you would need to apply get an NI number since that usually stays with you for life.

Edited by DIG85

On 11/05/2022 at 20:44, NottmTex said:

I can't apply to get a bank account or national insurance number until I get to the UK according to the government website.

You're right, you'll have to wait until you arrive to establish a bank account. You can open an account on Day 1, BUT you won't be given any cards or be able to withdraw any money until you can provide proof of a permanent UK address (a utility bill or a bank statement).

That's no big deal though.  Just keep using your Australian account. You'll be able to withdraw cash from ATMs no problem as well as use your online banking - keep your Australian mobile phone as a precaution, as some people have trouble receiving SMS alerts on a UK phone.  If your bank isn't one that offers fee-free international transactions, change banks now (yes I know, it seems stupid to change banks when you're leaving, but it will be worth it).  Look at HSBC or ING.

If you have a British passport, you can create an account on https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services/register

If you ever worked in the UK, you will have a NI number already and you'll be able to access it there.

On 11/05/2022 at 20:44, NottmTex said:

My situation is also complex, I am returning to the UK but continuing to work for my employer in Australia part-time. My accountant has said to me to keep my residence in Australia for tax purposes.

Strange advice.  You don't usually get to choose where you're resident for tax purposes, that is determined by the relevant tax offices. It's usually based on the number of days you're resident in each country. 

I can see why he's advising that, because non-residents don't get a tax-free threshold.  You'll be taxed on your income from the very first dollar. It would be worth checking whether you can still contribute extra to your superannuation to avoid the tax.

You might be able to claim that Australia is your usual place of residence and you're only working in the UK temporarily, but that lie will become obvious if you've sold up in Australia and even more so when you don't return, and I have no idea whether there would be consequences for that. 

Edited by Marisawright

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You're right, you'll have to wait until you arrive to establish a bank account. You can open an account on Day 1, BUT you won't be given any cards or be able to withdraw any money until you can provide proof of a permanent UK address (a utility bill or a bank statement).

Thank you for all your advice! I will get my mum to add me to a bill to prove my address in the UK.

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's no big deal though.  Just keep using your Australian account. You'll be able to withdraw cash from ATMs no problem as well as use your online banking - keep your Australian mobile phone as a precaution, as some people have trouble receiving SMS alerts on a UK phone.  If your bank isn't one that offers fee-free international transactions, change banks now (yes I know, it seems stupid to change banks when you're leaving, but it will be worth it).  Look at HSBC or ING.

I was planning on paying my Optus plan out to get my phone unlocked, then in the UK just get a new plan. Are you saying keep your Australian number so banks and other Australian agencies can send you SMS alerts just in case? The only problem I see there is I would potentially have to keep flicking between sim cards. I could just change ING bank alerts etc to my new UK number when I get it?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, NottmTex said:

Thank you for all your advice! I will get my mum to add me to a bill to prove my address in the UK.

There's an easier option.  Change your address with your Australian bank, to your mum's address.  Don't use "c/o"  just put the address as if it's yours.    Then ask them to send you a paper statement.

When you get to the UK, the statement will be waiting for you and you can use that as proof of address.

You should be able to change the bank alerts to your UK number but occasionally, people have trouble getting that to work.  So just in case, it's a good idea to keep your Australian number until you're sure it's all working.

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

There's an easier option.  Change your address with your Australian bank, to your mum's address.  Don't use "c/o"  just put the address as if it's yours.    Then ask them to send you a paper statement.

When you get to the UK, the statement will be waiting for you and you can use that as proof of address.

You should be able to change the bank alerts to your UK number but occasionally, people have trouble getting that to work.  So just in case, it's a good idea to keep your Australian number until you're sure it's all working.

You're a bloody star. Thanks for all your responses this year!