Holiday house swap UK Brisbane

Chortlepuss

Now we’ve retired I have joined a house swap site with a view to finding people in the Uk who might want to come to Brisbane for a few weeks or longer - maybe to have somewhere to stay when they visit relatives over here. Not sure if I’ll get takers as my house is quite ordinary without a pool. Has anyone here had relatives/friends to stay but not really had enough room to host them?  I’ll be really interested to see if there is any demand for this or whether people would prefer to stay somewhere posh….

On 20/03/2022 at 23:07, Chortlepuss said:

Now we’ve retired I have joined a house swap site with a view to finding people in the Uk who might want to come to Brisbane for a few weeks or longer - maybe to have somewhere to stay when they visit relatives over here. Not sure if I’ll get takers as my house is quite ordinary without a pool. Has anyone here had relatives/friends to stay but not really had enough room to host them?  I’ll be really interested to see if there is any demand for this or whether people would prefer to stay somewhere posh….

Hi,

Hmm - I hadn't thought about house swap... interesting...

Which Suburb are you in?

Were coming over at some point in Aug/September for 3.5 - 4 weeks for a wedding and to check out suburbs with a view to emigrating next year.  

Our place is in London, UK - also quite ordinary and without a pool!

Which house swap site did you use?

Alastair

It

8 hours ago, AliG said:

Hi,

Hmm - I hadn't thought about house swap... interesting...

Which Suburb are you in?

Were coming over at some point in Aug/September for 3.5 - 4 weeks for a wedding and to check out suburbs with a view to emigrating next year.  

Our place is in London, UK - also quite ordinary and without a pool!

Which house swap site did you use?

Alastair

I joined a Facebook group called People like us. We’re in the Western suburbs (Oxley) but probably moving to coast (Redlands) at some stage. If you’re in London I’d think you’ll get heaps of interest from swappers - everyone wants to go to London! 
I hadn’t thought about people doing recce’s but that may be a possibility too…

On 21/03/2022 at 10:07, Chortlepuss said:

you'll be surprised.  People will come for the sun, because it's Australia, and because hotels are very expensive here.

I had a friend in the UK who did the same with a pokey little home in Warwickshire....3 small beds, 1 tiny bathroom with toilet.    The Americans flocked there to visit Stratford.  In return, he kept getting 4 bed villas in Florida with a pool...nobody ever complained they were short changed.  He reckoned it was because the Americans liked the authenticity of living in the UK "how the British live" so the expectations were different than if they'd booked a 5* Marriott.    "Hey we went to England and stayed in a house with only 1 garage, and you couldn't even fit a car inside it...it was so quaint".

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

It

I joined a Facebook group called People like us. We’re in the Western suburbs (Oxley) but probably moving to coast (Redlands) at some stage. If you’re in London I’d think you’ll get heaps of interest from swappers - everyone wants to go to London! 
I hadn’t thought about people doing recce’s but that may be a possibility too…

Funnily enough we have friends in Graceville so Oxley would definitely be somewhere we'd consider (if you're still going to be there in Aug/Sep?).

In any case, this has been a useful prompt for me to get my own house in order so that its potentially ready for a swap.