Relationship Breakdown - 820 Status

Sarah Adam

Hi! Timeline is:

Sep 2019 - Applied 801/820

March 2021 - 820 Grant

May 2021 - Relationship Breakdown

1 Nov 2021 - Ex-Sponsor informed Immigration

28 Nov 2021 - I confirmed breakdown & withdrew my 801 application

I received a letter confirming the withdrawal which stated that I currently hold a Bridging Visa B (will expire 35 days from date of withdrawal) and a Visa 820 (no mention of cancellation/expiration date). My question is how long it typically takes Home Affairs to cancel an 820 in this case? Am I able to wait until I receive a NOICC for the 820 before I apply for a new visa? The below/attached is what it says on their most recent correspondence, and I've been assured that the department will issue a NOICC (not just a straight up cancellation notice).

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

image.png.56259a5caba68aaff2e52f7f9dcb8f15.png

The 820 is not ‘cancelled’ in these circumstances - it ‘ceases’ (in effect, expires naturally) once the withdrawal of your 801 is actioned. At that point the BVB will come into effect for 35 days.  I suggest you check VEVO to see what visa you currently hold and get some professional advice on how to proceed. It generally doesn’t take long to action the withdrawal. 

3 hours ago, Sarah Adam said:

Thank you for your reply, Paul! This is in direct contrast with advice I received (and paid for) from ask-an-agent.com 😞 I'm now speaking with an immigration lawyer about next steps. You've set me on the right track to stay lawful - very, very grateful.

Maybe employ Paul who helped you above? He’s a registered migration agent. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1