Changing jobs with a 482 and 820 visa

Ridpath

Hi everyone. I am a UK citizen and came to Australia on a 482 visa linked to my current employer. A couple of months ago I was granted an 820 partner visa. I just handed in my notice, and my employer has advised (an anticipated) that my 482 visa will be cancelled. Will the 820 visa automatically kick in, or do I need to contact immigration? Thanks everyone.

I had a somewhat similar situation, I was on a tourist visa when I applied for 820, at the end of the tourist visa I was expecting to be on a bridging visa A according to the receipt of my 820 application being submitted. (Submission confirmation and grants are not the same since it takes more than a year usually after application for the 820 to be granted)

I was not and that was because I had forgotten I had an old maritime visa which rolled over instead of the bridging visa and took us a while to even realize, it seems that the system grants bridging visas only once there’s no other valid visas so I am guessing as long as your work visa remains valid, it won’t change to a bridging visa unless the 820 has been fully granted.

I was able to fix the issue by sending an email with my situation to a department address that my agent gave me, thankfully it was easy to fix.

• Thanks 1