Citizenship application progress in Melbourne

Sgarnon

Does anybody know what is going on in Melbourne? I’ve had my citizenship appointment delayed so many times due to Melbourne being in and out of lockdown, ultimately cancelled before this last endless lockdown and so I have been waiting for years now! I can’t enlist in the ADF because of this!! This is way too much! What is going on does anybody have some news?

41 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's a rather sad statement, which says more about you than about the state of Victoria.   Just because you had a bad experience living in a town or suburb there, doesn't mean the whole place is awful.   

It is indeed a sad statement. But Melbourne in particular is dying on its backside at the moment. The formerly fine cbd is pretty much dead. People are voting with their feet, and they’re either heading for the exit or not coming in the first place.

You have to wonder why any prospective migrant would choose Victoria given what’s happened in the last two years. It is going to take years for Melbourne to recover its mojo. Years.

Edited by DIG85

40 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

It is indeed a sad statement. But Melbourne in particular is dying on its backside at the moment. The formerly fine cbd is pretty much dead. People are voting with their feet, and they’re either heading for the exit or not coming in the first place.

Actually, the last published figures show that people are leaving Sydney and Melbourne in pretty much equal numbers.  

No one's denying it's been a tough two years but a lot of Melburnians still love their city and are determined it will recover.  The atmosphere where I live is upbeat on the whole.  

Having said that, I don't know why any prospective migrant would choose Melbourne.  Most migrants want lots of sun and sandy ocean beaches, and Melbourne doesn't have either.  I'll be quite happy if they give the place a miss.

49 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Actually, the last published figures show that people are leaving Sydney and Melbourne in pretty much equal numbers.  

No one's denying it's been a tough two years but a lot of Melburnians still love their city and are determined it will recover.  The atmosphere where I live is upbeat on the whole.  

Having said that, I don't know why any prospective migrant would choose Melbourne.  Most migrants want lots of sun and sandy ocean beaches, and Melbourne doesn't have either.  I'll be quite happy if they give the place a miss.

What figures? Pretty pointless citing “the latest figures” without source. Also the fact that most migrants wants lots of sun and sandy ocean beaches that’s pretty cliche and unrealistic, most migrants are driven by jobs and quality of life, other family members, universities and schools, and many other reason not just the idea of living the dream in a tropical paradise. As for your last statement wishing “they would give the place a miss” that’s just gross.

Edited by Sgarnon

23 minutes ago, Sgarnon said:

What figures? Pretty pointless citing “the latest figures” without source. Also the fact that most migrants wants lots of sun and sandy ocean beaches that’s pretty cliche and unrealistic, most migrants are driven by jobs and quality of life, other family members, universities and schools, and many other reason not just the idea of living the dream in a tropical paradise. As for your last statement wishing “they would give the place a miss” that’s just gross.

You'll find the reference in a recent forum post here.   You are right, it's not accurate to say most migrants want lots of sun and sandy ocean beaches, but I think it is pretty accurate to say that the majority of British migrants are looking for exactly that. For evidence, just browse through these threads.  One of the biggest reasons given by British would-be migrants, again and again, is "the weather".  Similarly, when British would-be migrants post to ask about Melbourne suburbs, they usually want Bayside because they want to be "near the beach", and they imagine the beach is going to look like the one in Home and Away.  

Migrants from other countries do have different priorities, but this is a "poms in oz" forum so that's the audience I was referring to.  And of course, it's a generalisation not a universal truth.  

Personally, neither of those things was ever on my wishlist and I am very happy living in Melbourne.  I was replying in a sarcastic fashion to @DIG85 who reckond Victoria is an "awful place".  

Edited by Marisawright