Thoughts on Bournemouth Move From Perth

Blue Flu

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I knew people who lived in European countries before the UK became part of the EU.  This was in the 1960s.  My parents had friends who retired to Spain and I also knew many small business owners who worked hard (usually 7 days a week) during the peak holiday season in the Lake District (March until October) then spent the winters at their houses in Spain, France or Portugal.  It wasn't an unusual thing to do.  Maybe there wasn't so much red tape back then.

Different rules and more often it was people with the means to support themselves fully. This remains the case. These days a citizen from say China can gain entry into Europe by the purchase of a property over a certain amount in Portugal, for example. In time if they reside there they will gain EU entry. 

My mother moved to Paris as a young girl in the thirties on a whim and done well there only leaving with the clarity that war was on the horizon. All very easy to do by her account of the time. 

The sixties saw all sorts move to Europe, especially the poor south, where life was cheap and wasn't hard to prolong stay. Those with the means would have found it not too odious in getting a permit to remain. I'd imagine things like health care would not have been up to scratch at least in comparison to the richer north though.   

The standardization of EU rules and requirements added difficulty to a once relatively easy process. I suspect in my case I will be required to pay considerable private health insurance as well.  

Depending on partner but would be inclined to combine England with EU living or failing that simply rent out house in England if other things fall into place.

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

....but not impossible?  When we were in Southampton, one thing I discovered was that you think you are close to the continent for ease of travel, however the cost of the crossing is prohibitive (unless you are willing to take cheap flights to places like Benidorm).  When we did go to Europe, it always ended up being via Gatwick or Heathrow because they were best value (but of course, a horrible experience).   Whereas if you are already in Europe, you can just hop on a train.

Indeed. Living in EU would likely be longer term goal , but don't mind England in the least. I can camp and cycle in the countryside of England, France, Germany or Nordic World with equal pleasure and ease. There are gains and losses to any undertaking I tend to find. My partner speaks fluently one language I'm only basic in, while I speak another just under fluency, that she is probably less than basic in. Probably fair to go to a country neither speak the language and place on equal footing? Or not. England would be equal almost, although English is not her mother tongue. 

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2021 at 11:17, Toots said:

I knew people who lived in European countries before the UK became part of the EU.  This was in the 1960s.  My parents had friends who retired to Spain and I also knew many small business owners who worked hard (usually 7 days a week) during the peak holiday season in the Lake District (March until October) then spent the winters at their houses in Spain, France or Portugal.  It wasn't an unusual thing to do.  Maybe there wasn't so much red tape back then.

I guess in the 1960's there was not much red tape anywhere and far less travel anyway, but a continent recovering from war was very different to the technology-driven society of today. ....it is vastly superior for every single demographic, but far more complex and organised.  There is less red tape providing you buy into the systems that prevent the red tape.  The UK is still part of Europe even if it isn't in the EU, but the people need to pay for their own personal rights and deal with elongated permission systems some of which will be based on personal assessment and judgement, rather than those rights being applied naturally as a citizen of an EU member state.

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Like 1