Skill Assessment for Chef without qualifications

Dre in Vic

Hi all,

I need advice for my situation please. I want to do Skill Assessment as a Chef via VETASSESS. My case is that I don't have any qualifications in commercial cookery but I have 5 years working experience as a Sous Chef (2 years full time, 3 years part time) in Australia. VETASSESS requires 5 years working experience, however, it doesn't state that it must be full time for all 5 years or not? I'm wondering anyone has done this pathway, please give me some advice.

Many thanks

Hi, 

VETASSESS can accept 20hrs as being 'full-time' but, this may depend on other factors which are difficult to explain without having a full understanding of your situation.

I recommend booking a consultation with a Registered Migration Agent you trust, to get advice on how this will work in your situation. VETASSESS fees are in excess of $1000 if you're lodging in Australia so, you want to do everything you can to get it right the first time. 

Good luck!

Regards,
Josie Marr | MARN 1172798 
Principal & Registered Migration Agent 
Astra Australia Immigration

On 15/02/2021 at 04:16, Dre in Vic said:

Hi all,

I need advice for my situation please. I want to do Skill Assessment as a Chef via VETASSESS. My case is that I don't have any qualifications in commercial cookery but I have 5 years working experience as a Sous Chef (2 years full time, 3 years part time) in Australia. VETASSESS requires 5 years working experience, however, it doesn't state that it must be full time for all 5 years or not? I'm wondering anyone has done this pathway, please give me some advice.

Many thanks

Managing to find the neccessary proof for being employed in a particular field is an enormous task, and usually the most difficult one. You will be competing with people who have +8 years proven work experience plus positive skill assessment, so keep that in mind when applying for a visa. 

In your particular case, it sounds as if you'll have a difficult time providing 2 years of full time employment.

You should be wary of investing money in the immigration process, if you're not certain that you can attain a positive skills assessment and score enough points to be a competitive visa applicant. It is an expensive process, and one that you will not wish to repeat.

Best of luck.