Citizenship and previous 186 visa

Silentreader101

Hi so if innow have citizenship and am no longer in my 186 visa am I still obligated to work for my employer for 2 years? 
just wondering how that works as once I became a citizen my 186 visa was cancelled? I’m not far off the 2 year mark but I’m just wondering if my employer gets mad which they will as everyone is leaving am I leaving myself open to drama eg can my citizenship be cancelled? Or is this a closed book with them now as I’m no longer on the visa that they sponsored me on? 

Once you are a citizen all previous restrictions are removed.  You are free to work for who you want.

However I would check your employment contract to be sure there are no clawback type clauses where you have to pay back their costs if you leave within the 2 years.

Edited by Jon the Hat

Unless DHA eventually finds that you have lied on your initial 186 application (i.e. you had intentions to leave the employer before your visa was issued and they will have proofs of that), you can leave the company even without citizenship granted.

But if they do find your 186 application to be bogus it can put your citizenship application at risk as well, there were some AAT cases (not 186, though) where the current citizenship was canceled because of the previous permanent residency status (basis for a citizenship grant) cancellation.