Things to do when you arrive

Ausvisitor

Hi,

We will be arriving in Sydney (yep - aware its the most expensive city) in Feb 2021 - so after 2 weeks of luxury hotel stay what are the things we need to do, I presume but may have missed some stuff:

1) Find somewhere to live (we will rent airbnb etc for a little bit) - what do we need to show agent in terms of ability to pay rent/references

2) Register for Tax and Medicaid

3) Find a car - hwo do we register it and get insurance

4) Switch driving licence - is this a staright switch or is there a conversion test?

5) Bank accounts

I'm bound to have missed stuff but is this the main list?

Hiya mate

If you book airbnb then you shouldn't need anything, if you book through an estate agent then most use online portals to see your details. On there it will ask for everything, so savings, references (I used my old boss).

Bank account i opened in the UK then went into a branch with my passport when i arrived to verify it.

Tax numbers are just done online.

Medicare I did online when in qaurantine but the card took over a month to come, so it may be better going to see them in person as I think they give you a temporary card.

Driving licence in SA was straight forward, fill in a form at the office, have your photo taken then you are given your new licence. You dont have to surrender you UK license either. You have to pay a yearly fee for your license here, I think we paid $60 for it.

We bought our car from a dealers, you have rego here which gives you 3rd party insurance only. If you want extra insurance just do a price comparison as you would in the UK. The rego goes of the size of your engine I think, for us we pay $600 for the year on a 1.4 petrol. The insurance costs us $450 for the year.

• Like 1