Returning to the UK from Australia - Superannuation Question

Mr Scott

Hello,

We are returning to the UK early next year from Australia, I have read numerous articles about withdrawing your Australia Superannuation fund, however I just wanted to confirm our situation.

We arrived on a 457 Visa and now have a Sub Class 155 Resident Return Visa.  As we arrived on a temp visa and only have a resident return visa is it possible to withdraw my superannuation when we leave Australia?

Apprecaite any help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 29/10/2020 at 13:19, Mr Scott said:

Hello,

We are returning to the UK early next year from Australia, I have read numerous articles about withdrawing your Australia Superannuation fund, however I just wanted to confirm our situation.

We arrived on a 457 Visa and now have a Sub Class 155 Resident Return Visa.  As we arrived on a temp visa and only have a resident return visa is it possible to withdraw my superannuation when we leave Australia?

Apprecaite any help.

Hi there

I am not a visa expert and so am not 100% on the type of visa a 155 is, I have just googled it and it seems as though it is a permanent resident visa?

If it is a temporary visa then withdrawal of super for people leaving Australia whose temp visa has expired falls under the DASP: Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) | Australian Taxation Office (ato.gov.au)

However if it is a permanent visa then the usual conditions of release apply when it comes to withdrawing super (so typically retirement after preservation age Preservation age | Australian Taxation Office (ato.gov.au)

Conditions of release can be found here: Conditions of release | Australian Taxation Office (ato.gov.au)

Hope this helps.

Regards Andy