Confused about banks

up4answers

Hi guys.

We're heading out at the end of August. I want to set up our bank acc before we arrive.

I'm just so confused about who to go with, all the bank charges etc.

I want a bank that:

I pay my wages into

Has lots of ATM's everywhere

Gives me a visa debit card so I don't have to have cash all the time

Has a reasonable monthly acc charge.

I also need to:

Send about £500 ($1000) every month to top up our mortgage.

I hate this sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance peeps.

Guest Pinhead
Hi guys.

We're heading out at the end of August. I want to set up our bank acc before we arrive.

I'm just so confused about who to go with, all the bank charges etc.

I want a bank that:

I pay my wages into

Has lots of ATM's everywhere

Gives me a visa debit card so I don't have to have cash all the time

Has a reasonable monthly acc charge.

I also need to:

Send about £500 ($1000) every month to top up our mortgage.

I hate this sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance peeps.

If you want a bank account with lots of ATMs I'd stick to one of the big banks CBA,NAB,ANZ. However they do charge you more in fees.

You can get debit cards on most current account which is what you'd be looking at to get your wages paid in & ATM card.

You can always get a saver account later if you have any spare cash (Netsaver at CBA is good with excellent internet banking)

I use CBA and they are excellent, if you keep $20K in your account they don't charge you any fees.

http://www.commbank.com.au/movingtoaustralia/

If you are going to be sending cash back regularly to the UK I would set up an account with Hifx in Sydney (currency company who have a uk office). You can set up regular payments (from your bank to them onto the UK) & you can fix the exchange for a year+ (very good with the current forex rate being so low) with no comissions or fees.

http://www.hifx.com.au/

Hiya,

We opened an account with Westpac before we came and we also have our mortgage with them. We're not charged for ATM withdrawals and have a debit card (confusingly your current account is called savings when you're doing your transactions). We pay about $5 per month fee. Like you we just wanted something to pay the mortgage into. We also have a 'savings' account (uk style) and transfere money when we need it to pay for big purchases. You can set up an account via the internet.

Ali

Guest JoanneHattersley

We`r with Bankwest. NO charges whatsoever for any accounts!!! We liked that! Only issue is that they are a WA based branch that have only recently started coming this way to QLD!

We were with CBA and got so p***ed off with all the charges that we left. Also we were gaining points on our credit card. Once we got to a certain amount of points with CBA they refused to give us any more until we reached the end of a 12 month period! Didnt like that.

Archived