What would happen to assets of someone who was deported from Australia?

DanielSam

Just for curiosity, I would like to ask if a person with dual citizenships had his Australian citizenship revoked and deported to his motherland, what would happen to his assets in Australia? e.g can he sell his properties and bring his money out of Australia?

Thanks

Depriving someone of their property rights would be a breach of the UN HR Convention so that person should be able to dispose of their Australian based assets and repatriate their money.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian Government has powers to put a charge over real property to recover its costs of deportation.  It would also be interesting to know what would happen to the person's super pot as usually only temporary visa holders can transfer super outside of Australia before retirement age.

• Like 1

@Loopylu Thanks for your answer. Yes I agree to your point that the person still has his rights on his own property. As for people who stay illegally in Australia, when they get caught and removed from Australia, do they have to return the money that they earned to the government because they were illegal non-citizen? Or they wouldn't have due to the UN HR Convention again? I'm doing research on the topic of removal and deportation but couldn't find any credible information on how the process of asset arrangement happens after deportation or removal from Australia. If you know any good sources, please share them to me. Thanks.