Resident Return Visa and PR

Hello all,

My PR travel facility expires 30/12/2020.  

I was planning on going back to Australia before this, this year, however of course now I am unsure if  I will make that date due to the uncertainty.

I have been offshore since Dec 2017 but still meet the residence criteria having been 1021 days in Australia back 5 years. i don't have Australian links (as my citizenship was refused in January this year and they deemed them not good enough), but It seems if you have correct number of days, they don't look at links?

.Does anyone know/had experience of:-

- if I applied for RRV now - if given, would it start from say April (now) rather than on 30/12/2020?

- if offshore, do they tend to give 1 year or 5 year extension? Does it depend on links?

Many thanks in advance...

For citizenship, you must have the required number of days and there's no exceptions. If you don't meet the residency requirements, links don't count.

For the RRV, it's almost the other way around.  You must have the links but they can be lenient on the residency requirements.

However, if you meet the residency requirements for a RRV, approval should be automatic and it should be 5 years.

On 31/03/2020 at 15:06, Jojobluesox2 said:

if I applied for RRV now - if given, would it start from say April (now) rather than on 30/12/2020?

- if offshore, do they tend to give 1 year or 5 year extension? Does it depend on links?

- Yes

- 5 years, if you meet the 2 years in the last 5 years residence requirement at date of application