AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hey guys, I called up (on govt citizenship phone line 131 880) about the slowness of processing in the Sydney office this morning. The gentleman on the phone said that despite the Website informing us that the office has been open for a while, in actual fact it only opened for citizenship tests this past Friday. I’m not sure if he was completely in the know, but I thought I’d pass this info on to you...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennyinoz said:

Hey guys, I called up (on govt citizenship phone line 131 880) about the slowness of processing in the Sydney office this morning. The gentleman on the phone said that despite the Website informing us that the office has been open for a while, in actual fact it only opened for citizenship tests this past Friday. I’m not sure if he was completely in the know, but I thought I’d pass this info on to you...

This is not correct. It's been open for around 1 month now. Actually, I had my test in the Sydney CBD office last week. They seem to interview 3-5 people every 15 minutes, as I can see. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jezz32 said:

@Ricomate,

What date did you apply mate?

My family applied April 19, 2020. No reply so far. Thanks.

Early August, 2019. I think the Department is now focusing on NSW applicants that applied in or before September 2019, aka the very old ones. I assume you are from NSW too, right? Then you wouldn't hear anything until early next year, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Ricomate said:

This is not correct. It's been open for around 1 month now. Actually, I had my test in the Sydney CBD office last week. They seem to interview 3-5 people every 15 minutes, as I can see. 

Well that is great news! How do you know about the 3-5 minutes stat? From watching the queue when you were there? 

Edited by jennyinoz
He’d answered that question

7 minutes ago, jennyinoz said:

Well that is great news! How do you know about the 3-5 minutes stat? From watching the queue when you were there? When did you apply?

from my own observance while being there, and also guys posting in another forum.

If you are in Sydney metro and applied more than one year ago, I think you would expect to get the invite anytime soon. Sometimes they may call you, so keep your phone with you during the day. (In my case, I just got an email with the test date/time and the address. You will be able to reschedule if you want to test earlier.) 

20 hours ago, Abro said:

@Ricomate I applied last year December 04, 2019 and proposed test centre is Sydney CBD. I haven't heard anything yet. 

I've just applied from Melbourne and since all the test centers here are closed so I selected proposed test center at other state. Do you think they will arrange according to my choice or according to my resident address? 🙂

On 10/08/2020 at 12:04, cams326 said:

Hi everyone,

I lodged my citizenship a few weeks ago. I am just wondering if there is anyone's application here that was processed quicker than expected? I am kind of hoping to still be able to get the $25K grant from government if there is any chance the citizenship will be granted this year. 😕

Thank you all 🙂

We are on the same boat with you, did our test yesterday and just hoping a miracle happens and we become citizens before the home builder grant expires. We actualy asked for a virtual ceremony when we were asked if we want one, our application still not approved though yet. 

On 29/09/2020 at 14:57, Ricomate said:

I agree, we got ours yesterday and we were 6 persons at a time for the interview (each with own officer of course)

5 minutes ago, coquette said:

We are on the same boat with you, did our test yesterday and just hoping a miracle happens and we become citizens before the home builder grant expires. We actualy asked for a virtual ceremony when we were asked if we want one, our application still not approved though yet. 

@coquette Oh that's good to hear! May I ask when and where you lodged yours?

Still keeping my fingers crossed! 🙂 I honestly don't mind doing online ceremony now tbh. I just want to be eligible for the homebuilder grant lol

Edited by cams326

1 minute ago, cams326 said:

Oh that's good to hear! May I ask when and where you lodged yours?

Still keeping my fingers crossed! 🙂 I honestly don't mind doing online ceremony now tbh. I just want to be eligible for the homebuilder grant lol

Below is my status !

well am hopeful though it needs a miracle to get the ceremony before December. I read somewhere they may extend the home builder grants beyond December and also extend the building constructions condition to resume within 6 months rather than 3 months. 

Citizenship application : 07/08/2019

Received invitation to do the test : 02/2020

Initial Test Date: 27/04/2020 (Cancelled due to covid)

Second Test Invitation: 11/09/2020

Test Date: 27/09/2020- Passed (All of us Husband, myself and son)

Application: My husband and I still RECEIVED , My Son got approved same day after he is done the test.

Ceremony: TBA

City: Sydney CBD

2 hours ago, coquette said:

wow that was super quick! congratulations. 

My wife has also passed the test just half an hour before me and my son is included in her application, status of her application is still showing Received 😔

City Brisbane

Edited by Manga

7 minutes ago, Manga said:

My wife has also passed the test just half an hour before me and my son is included in her application, status of her application is still showing Received 😔

City Brisbane

For us My son got approved straight away after he passed the test, but both me and my husband are still not approved. I think it is very random .. 

Just got my invitation for my citizenship ceremony today.

Only 3 weeks to wait now!!

BTW It is a ceremony in person at our local council offices.

Citizenship Application: 12/1/2020

Received Invitation for Test: 20/7/2020

Test Date: 5/8/2020 (Passed)

Received Ceremony Invitation: 1/10/2020

Ceremony: Due on 23/10/2020

City: Perth

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baby Pom said:

Just got my invitation for my citizenship ceremony today.

Only 3 weeks to wait now!!

BTW It is a ceremony in person at our local council offices.

Citizenship Application: 12/1/2020

Received Invitation for Test: 20/7/2020

Test Date: 5/8/2020 (Passed)

Received Ceremony Invitation: 1/10/2020

Ceremony: Due on 23/10/2020

City: Perth

Congrats 🎉