Visa 491 NSW

Lotti22

Hi, 

I’m looking into visa options - probably not even applying for several months but trying to get our ducks in a row beforehand. 

Looking at the stats of the skilled 189 visa I’m starting to think the 491 is more realistic (skilled regional) as my points will only add to 80 for the 189, whereas they’ll be 95 for the new 491. 

I’m a vet and ideally will move round and locum (I’m happy in regional areas - we don’t want to live in Sydney / Brisbane /Melbourne). 

I guess I’m wondering if I get a NSW nominated 491 do I have to stay in NSW? Everything I’ve found online suggests as long as it’s regional Aus it’s ok. I will seek advice from a migration expert but just putting feelers out on here first. We are likely to apply for 191 PR in a few years so I don’t want to breach anything on a 491 visa!! 

Any advice welcome! 
thanks 

Lotti

I would urge you not to delay applying for the visa.  Once it's granted, you have a short window to "activate" the visa - however, that just means you all have to hop over to Oz for a short holiday.   After that, you are usually allowed up to 5 years to make the permanent move (worth double-checking that for the 491, as it's a new visa and may have a different window).

My concern is that the government is steadily reducing the number of occupations on the list and increasing the points required.  The longer you delay, the less chance you have of success.  So get the visa in your hot little hand first, and then you'll have time to get your ducks in a row before the permanent move.

I think NSW would be a good choice for your 491 even if you have to stay within the state.  Unlike some of the other states, there are several good-sized towns which would have a decent demand for vets.  You could look at basing yourself somewhere like Newcastle which is a vibrant, family-friendly city with great beaches, on the doorstep of the wineries.