register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

yhnswhydi

Insurance Brokers - WA 190 Visa

Hi there! 

I'm looking to apply for the Skilled Nomination Visa (Subclass 190) here in Perth, Western Australia. My current point is sitting at 95. I graduated as a Master of Commerce back in 2018 from UWA.

I am currently on Graduate Visa (subclass 485) and am working as an Insurance Broker for more than 1.5 years with a local firm.

Given the recent addition of my nominated occupation in WA occupation list, I was ready to go forward with my skill assessment with my agent.

However, she advised me that my degree is not relevant with Insurance Broking, as I don't have any majors or units in Insurance Broking and it is highly likely that VETASSES will not give me a positive assessment.

As far as I know, there is no university degree in Insurance Broking. My university (University of Western Australia) has a web-page (https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/careers/insurance-broker) stating that the relevant major for Insurance Broking is commerce major (which I do have).

Moreover, the Diploma for Insurance Broking is for people who has experience in the field for more than 4 years (from ANZIIF web-page). VETASSES states that to gain positive skill assessment, your qualification should be highly relevant AQF Diploma or higher (which I believe my Master of Commerce sits at level 8 or 9 on the AQF ladder).

Is there anyone here on the same boat with me? Should I take the gamble and nominate Insurance Broker as my occupation?

Thanks beforehand!

Given the recent addition of my nominated occupation in WA occupation list, I was ready to go forward with my skill assessment with my agent.

However, she advised me that my degree is not relevant with Insurance Broking, as I don't have any majors or units in Insurance Broking and it is highly likely that VETASSES will not give me a positive assessment.

It might pay you to take a second opinion.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

I used to work in insurance companies and I'm married to a retired insurance man, and I didn't even know you could do a degree in insurance!    I think your agent is wrong.   WRussell, who answered your question, would be a good agent to ask for a second opinion.  Worth it for peace of mind.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

If you go to my website pinoyau.com and use the contact form an assessment will cost you nothing.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com