Family Visa

Sarah08

Hi

New Member ( so apologises if this has been discussed previously) I'm in the very early stages of considering applying for a skilled visa https://www.activemigration.com.au/occupations/2-professionals/27-legal-social-and-welfare-professionals/272-social-and-welfare-professionals/2721-counsellors/272111-careers-counsellor/

I am 43 years old, My Husband is 51 ( skilled computer programmer) we have two daughters 10 and 11. We want to move to Perth. I have a sister and nephew who currently have residency living in Perth and she is applying for citizenship this year. My husbands family also live in Melbourne who have citizenship.

I think we need an agent any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sarah

1 hour ago, Sarah08 said:

I think we need an agent any advice would be gratefully received

I think you’re right. You are close to the age cutoff, your partner will get minimal points due to age and you won’t get a nomination from WA with your occupation. There may be options, but you would almost certainly need to compromise on location for a number of years to start looking at them. Any of the agents who post regularly on this forum would be able to give you a more bespoke overview. 

• Like 2

I think Paul is talking about a 491 visa.  It's designed to encourage migrants to live and work in regional areas where workers are really needed (most migrants flock to the capital cities).   It's a provisional visa for four years (i.e. you don't have permanent residence).   After three years, you can convert to a permanent visa (and it can take another year for that to be processed).  By that time, the government is hoping you feel so settled that you won't want to move.

Each state has its own rules and requirements, so it will depend which state is looking for your skills.  There are several agents who are generous with their advice on these forums which to me, is always a good sign.    Paul (who replied to your post) is one of them. 

Whatever you decide, don't delay, as 45 is the cutoff age for migration.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1