Medicare (RHCA) pregnancy

Hazel Murray

Hi all!

Sorry if this has been asked before. We are moving to Australia in 6 months (I am on Visa 461 and my partner is a NZer on visa 444). We are not pregnant yet but are trying. 

My question is whether I can enter Australia pregnant and register for medicare. (As I understand it I am eligible for medicare under the RHCA).

I am also having trouble finding out what kind of maternity cover I get under RHCA. I may take out private cover but I want to know exactly what I am currently covered for. (Plus I know there is often a 12 month waiting period before you are able to claim).

If anyone else has given birth using RHCA cover please share your experience.  

Thank you,

• 2 years later...

Hi

Just wondering if you found out if it was possible to move to Australia while pregnant? My wife is pregnant and will be the secondary applicant on a 482 TSS Visa, with myself being the main applicant. I am wondering what your experience was giving birth under the RHCA, and if you have any lessons learnt that you don't mind sharing?

I am from Ireland and my wife is American. USA doesn't have an RHCA with Australia, but from medicare's website I believe she qualifies because she is a resident of Ireland (I will of course be confirming 100% with medicare that this is the case before we move).

As far as I understand we won't have any private health insurance options for maternity as we will already be pregnant on arrival in Australia.

If you have any advice and/or details of your experience, it would be such a great help. 

Thank you !!