Partner with dependent

Benjafield17

Hi all, 

Looking for a bit of advice on this. I'm Australian, wife is British, wife has a son (my stepson) 17yo. Been together 11 years, married nearly 7 years, we have twin daughters 8yo. 

Planning on making the move and need help with some answers

1. Stepson's dad is ok with the app as judging by the process times he would be old enough to make his own mind up when decision is made, however if I put the app in before he is 18 does it make any affect following his birthday?

2. Am I right in thinking that I just need to apply for citizenship by decent for my twins then passports?

3. I have read quite a few posts and success stories on here where the relationship has been as long as mine with kids that said they didn't use an agent as it was 'quite easy'. Does having a dependent child make that more complicated? Agents are quite expensive. 

4. Given our length of relationship, what would the chances be of both applicants getting subclass 100 straight away? Has anyone else been in similar situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, stepson is in fulltime college, has a partime job but fulltime education and lives with us. 

Cheers

If you were an Australian citizen at the time of your children's birth, then get on with getting their Australian passports, they won't need a visa.

With a long-standing, genuine relationship, a DIY application is usually fine.  Just remember that a marriage certificate isn't enough, even if you're married - you need to provide an exhausting list of evidence to prove that you're not just married but still happily married and that your lives are enmeshed. 

However getting the 17-year-old a visa could be the thing that trips you up.   I think you might need an agent to ensure you get it exactly right as if you get it wrong, he could be refused.   

You will need written consent from his father, which you'll need to submit with the application.   I know that once he's 18 he won't need his father's permission so it's tempting to wait for that - but then you've got the bigger problem of proving that he's genuinely dependent on you.  I recall someone on the forums who had their application refused because their child was working part-time so you need to check that out carefully.