*** 2019 Aus tax return filing deadline approaching ***

Alan Collett

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/tax/expert-warns-australians-to-lodge-tax-returns-by-october-31-cutoff-date/news-story/435535b29b57bf1af29e25e5f7916a07

Less than 2 weeks to go ...

You should appoint a registered tax agent in the next 2 weeks if you want to access an extension of the filing deadline - assuming you are up to date with your Australian tax returns for earlier years.

Best regards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/tax/expert-warns-australians-to-lodge-tax-returns-by-october-31-cutoff-date/news-story/435535b29b57bf1af29e25e5f7916a07

Less than 2 weeks to go ...

You should appoint a registered tax agent in the next 2 weeks if you want to access an extension of the filing deadline - assuming you are up to date with your Australian tax returns for earlier years.

Best regards.

How do you appoint a registered tax agent ? Do you have to submit something or click a button ? How to do it and what does it mean to appoint a tax agent ? 

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Can I recommend that you have a conversation with a registered tax agent?

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply. 

I had approached a tax agent a few days ago and was informed that now that I am with them I could file taxes even after a few more days.The information I want to know is where do I look at the fact that I am with tax agent or that I have appointed a tax agent. I do not know if this meant that I have appointed the tax agent simply by discussion. I would like to have a print out or  web portal where it says there is a tax agent appointed.  I will have to double check with the tax agent (have appointment in few days, needed to get some info to them to file the taxes), but would you be able to say if there is a place where it would say online that shows I have appointed the tax agent ? would it be on ATO website ? 

13 hours ago, Sigemup said:

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply. 

I had approached a tax agent a few days ago and was informed that now that I am with them I could file taxes even after a few more days.The information I want to know is where do I look at the fact that I am with tax agent or that I have appointed a tax agent. I do not know if this meant that I have appointed the tax agent simply by discussion. I would like to have a print out or  web portal where it says there is a tax agent appointed.  I will have to double check with the tax agent (have appointment in few days, needed to get some info to them to file the taxes), but would you be able to say if there is a place where it would say online that shows I have appointed the tax agent ? would it be on ATO website ? 

>    Check the agent is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board - see www.tpb.gov.au

>    Ask the agent to confirm by way of an email exchange that you have been added to the agent's lodgment program.

So far as I know there isn't a place where you can check that you have an agent appointed - but maybe have a look at your myGov account, and/or speak with the ATO?

Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You don't need to advise the ATO in advance that a Tax Agent is doing your tax.

It just means you won't get a fine for submitting your Tax Return late, if it comes in via a Tax Agent. That's all.

The tax agent has to add the taxpayer to his/her lodgment program via the Tax Agents Portal.

Best regards.

• Like 2