Social Work aasw process

jlai928

Hi all, 

I'm asking on behalf of my partner who is a UK social worker and wants to join me in Australia (I'm on 500 student visa) so any insight/advice is welcome. 

1. Is anyone familiar with social Work opportunities with non profits etc that don't require aasw (she'll be looking at these roles on a whv while simultaneously waiting/applying for aasw).

Especially roles in our near Perth that can be of commutable distance. 

2. For the aasw assessment would 65 points be enough or is that the bare minimum and it'll still be difficult for approval? 

3. Can you switch to a 189 from a whv within the country?

14 hours ago, jlai928 said:

Hi all, 

I'm asking on behalf of my partner who is a UK social worker and wants to join me in Australia (I'm on 500 student visa) so any insight/advice is welcome. 

1. Is anyone familiar with social Work opportunities with non profits etc that don't require aasw (she'll be looking at these roles on a whv while simultaneously waiting/applying for aasw).

Especially roles in our near Perth that can be of commutable distance. 

2. For the aasw assessment would 65 points be enough or is that the bare minimum and it'll still be difficult for approval? 

3. Can you switch to a 189 from a whv within the country?

1. I'm a social worker in NSW from Ireland- I think with most child protection roles and government jobs they will look for the AASW. It took nearly 8 months to get mine from when I submitted everything and my friend form the UK is still waiting on hers. My friend from the UK found work in NSW with a not for profit as a mental health social worker and as stated her AASW hasn't come through yet so it could be similar in Perth.

2. Not sure what your referring to regarding the 65 points for the AASW assessment? If you are talking about for permanent residency you need a minimum 65 points to apply but if you look at all the subs on this topic you will see nobody has been given PR (189 visa) with 65 points, it has become really competitive and for the 189 visa the minimum points you need realistically now are 75 with most people who are invited having 80 plus points. If she is a social worker though her occupation is on most of the state sponsored visa 190 lists (another visa for permanent residency) and she can apply that route and include you (This is what I am doing). You can apply for PR on a WHV in Australia but if you go the 190 route there are certain criteria each state has that you need to meet including the minimum points requirement. For example in NSW you have to be living there already in order to apply for state sponsored PR there and in VIC you have to have at least 2 years social work experience.

2 minutes ago, Brunswick91 said:

1. I'm a social worker in NSW from Ireland- I think with most child protection roles and government jobs they will look for the AASW. It took nearly 8 months to get mine from when I submitted everything and my friend form the UK is still waiting on hers. My friend from the UK found work in NSW with a not for profit as a mental health social worker and as stated her AASW hasn't come through yet so it could be similar in Perth.

2. Not sure what your referring to regarding the 65 points for the AASW assessment? If you are talking about for permanent residency you need a minimum 65 points to apply but if you look at all the subs on this topic you will see nobody has been given PR (189 visa) with 65 points, it has become really competitive and for the 189 visa the minimum points you need realistically now are 75 with most people who are invited having 80 plus points. If she is a social worker though her occupation is on most of the state sponsored visa 190 lists (another visa for permanent residency) and she can apply that route and include you (This is what I am doing). You can apply for PR on a WHV in Australia but if you go the 190 route there are certain criteria each state has that you need to meet including the minimum points requirement. For example in NSW you have to be living there already in order to apply for state sponsored PR there and in VIC you have to have at least 2 years social work experience.

Really helpful and thanks for your insight. I'll look into everything you've mentioned cheers and good luck to your friend 🙂