Partner on 485 Visa

cactus

Hi all. Looking for some advice regarding the 485 visa. I'm American, currently on a student visa. My partner (British) is on a 417 but it is expiring. I'll be eligible for a 485 next year, has anyone had any experience with a partner on this visa? Thanks. 

Sorry, I should have added more info. No, I won't be adding them to my student visa, they will be leaving the country when the WHV expires and we're trying to figure out the best way to get them back here. We're debating between adding them as a defacto to my 485 or them doing their own course on a student visa. 

6 hours ago, cactus said:

Sorry, I should have added more info. No, I won't be adding them to my student visa, they will be leaving the country when the WHV expires and we're trying to figure out the best way to get them back here. We're debating between adding them as a defacto to my 485 or them doing their own course on a student visa. 

Somewhat depends on your longer term plans. If you can demonstrate that you are in a de facto relationship, then there would be no issue adding them to your application. This would be more flexible than a student visa from their perspective.