Skilled 190 to SA

Martynd

Hi, I’m currently sat at 55 points and looking to get 5 points for nomination by SA and 5 points for partner holding a UK passport =65 points in total. My agent has told me that I can apply for SA under the subclass 190 as SA are inviting under 65points. Has anyone got some info on this? Feel like it’s too good to be true. I’m a plumber with 10 years experience and partner a hair dresser with 8 years. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Just now, Martynd said:

Being that myself and my wife are native English hopefully would enable us to dodge the English? I’m worried that with 65points I won’t have priority and will constantly be put at that bottom of the pile 🤦🏻‍♂️

From my understanding, you would need to sit the IELTS/PTE to claim the 20 points as well as partner points. Having a uk passport means you wouldn’t need to sit for the skills assessment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martynd said:

My agent has stated different. Without the English I score 65 points. The new changes enables my wife to claim 5 points as she has a skill and holds a UK passport?

@wrussell

I’m not 100% sure on that, better to check with your agent again. But I still believe you will have to do your ielts to claim the 20 points. Changes in Nov means you will be able to claim 10 points for your partner if she has a skill and has competent English.. 

• Like 1

I would think this is the case too, it is just confusing the way it reads. We have had to go along the English test route for extra points. If you have enough without it I guess this would be okay? As far as the points go, you can always put in your EOI and if it doesn’t move within the first few months you could sit your English test and alter your points at they point?

Edited by Smith270310
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Smith270310 said:

It’s soo frustrating! Message Darren for tips! He has had superior in 3 areas the last two times and fallen short on the speaking of all things! It’s a total money making scheme!! 

16 minutes ago, Martynd said:

Ahhh I know! Good luck! I’ve only sat the IELTS twice and scored 6.5 in the reading both times stopping me from getting the 10 points! Giving the PTE a go next month! However, it’s completely different and feel quite anxious about it all!

It definitely is, I got above 8 for everything except for writing so will have redo it.

quite funny that Native English speakers tend to struggle in IELTS. 😂😂

all the best guys.

27 minutes ago, Martynd said:

I just hope we get there! This process is so draining! The English is so annoying and un-realistic! I’m just going to crack on and try and obtain the English scores! emoji27.png

So you have 55 before the English points ? That’s really good. You could always go for the new 489 visa for south Australia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martynd said:

I got 8 both times in IELTS, I had better get practising my robot voice! emoji23.png

My question is will I be able to get there quickly without doing the English? The 489 isn’t a permanent visa?

You can apply for PR after you have stayed there for 3 years. Pretty much PR. Has all the same benefits.

• Like 1

This is an automated email.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Call for submissions

Timing for the introduction of English language standards for RMAs

Dear agent,

Registered Migration Agents interpret complex legislation, prepare detailed submissions on behalf 
of their clients and represent them in a wide variety of situations. High level English language 
skills are a necessary pre-requisite for this.

Initial applicants for registration have been required to have a minimum level of English for some 
years. However, while the level required is higher now than in the past, it still does not involve 
everyone having to meet a formally recognised minimum standard. This has led to criticism of the 
profession at times and few Registered Migration Agents are able to point to having passed a formal 
English test.

Overseas moves to introduce formal standards in Canada (IELTS 7.0) and New Zealand (introducing a 
similar requirement) have focused attention on the Australian registration system, which has long 
been a world leader. The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act could soon lead to automatic 
recognition of Australian registered agents by New Zealand authorities and it is important to 
ensure that the reputation of the Australian migration profession is not diminished in any 
comparison.

It has therefore been decided to formalise the English standard placed on Australia's Registered 
Migration Agents as soon as is practicable. A minimum standard that is equivalent to a minimum 
overall IELTS Academic band score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 6.5 in each module - reading, 
listening, speaking and writing) is to be adopted. This is consistent with the standard set in many 
other professions in Australia and with that being set in the migration advice profession overseas.

The start date for this requirement needs to be set. Initial thoughts are to ensure that new 
entrants to the profession meet this standard from mid 2009 by being required to sit an IELTS test 
(or a benchmarked MARA approved equivalent) as part of their initial registration. Similarly, 
existing Registered Migration Agents would be required to do this as a "one-off" part of their 
re-registration. This might be from 2010 although there should be a good opportunity given to any 
existing agents who did not meet the standard to remain registered for a period while they lift the 
standard of their English to the required level.

If the experience in other professions that have gone this route is any guide, few professional 
people should have difficulty in demonstrating that they meet the standard although some may feel 
the "one off" need to sit a test inconvenient or consider it pointless because they "obviously have 
high level English skills". The lasting benefits in relation to standing, for the profession as a 
whole and its individual members should outweigh any inconvenience or cost involved.

The views of the migration advice profession and other stakeholders are sought on the timing for 
the introduction of the new requirement. Please send your views to submissions@mara.com.au by 28 
September 2008.

Regards

Bernie Waters

Chief Executive Officer

re the above. I started to correct it and gave up.

Call for submissions

Timing for the introduction of English language standards for RMAs

Dear agent,

Registered Migration Agents interpret complex legislation, prepare detailed submissions on behalf 
of their clients and represent them in a wide variety of situations. High level High-level English 
language skills are a necessary* pre- requisite prerequisite for this.

For some years Initial  initial applicants for registration have been required to have a minimum 
level of English for some years. However (Is this necessary?), while the level required is higher 
now than in the past, it still does not involve everyone having to meet a formally recognised 
minimum standard. This has led to criticism of the profession at times and few Registered Migration 
Agents are able to point to having passed a formal English test.

Overseas moves to introduce formal standards in Canada (IELTS 7.0) and New Zealand (introducing a 
similar requirement) have focused attention on the Australian registration system, which has long 
been a world leader. The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act could soon lead to automatic 
recognition of Australian registered agents by New Zealand authorities and it is important to 
ensure that the reputation of the Australian migration profession is not diminished in any 
comparison.

It has therefore been decided to formalise the English standard placed on Australia's Registered 
Migration Agents as soon as is** practicable ***. A minimum standard that is equivalent to a 
minimum overall IELTS Academic band score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 6.5 in each module - 
reading, listening, speaking and writing) is to be adopted. This is consistent with the standard 
set in many other professions in Australia and with that being set in the migration advice 
profession overseas.

The start date for this requirement needs to be set. Initial thoughts are to ensure that new 
entrants to the profession meet this standard from mid 2009  mid-2009 by being required to sit an 
IELTS test (or a benchmarked MARA-approved equivalent) as part of their initial registration. 
Similarly, (delete) existing Registered Migration Agents would be required to do this as a 
"one-off" (once) as part of their re-registration. This might be from 2010 although there should be 
a good opportunity given to any existing agents who did (tense) not meet the standard to remain 
registered for a period while they lift the standard of their English to the required level. (or 
lower it)

If the experience in other professions that have gone this route (delete)is any guide, few 
professional people should have difficulty in (delete)demonstrating that they meet the standard 
although some may feel the "one off" (delete) need to sit a test inconvenient or consider it 
pointless because they "obviously have high level English skills". The lasting benefits in relation 
to standing, for the profession as a whole and its individual members should outweigh any 
inconvenience or cost involved.

The views of the migration advice profession and other stakeholders are sought on the timing for 
the introduction of the new requirement. Please send your views to submissions@mara.com.au by 28 
September 2008.

Regards

Bernie Waters

Chief Executive Officer

*Prerequisites are always necessary

As usual you are going to do whatever you are going to do and attempts to justify your actions are 
a waste of words. You might have written:

From mid-2009 applicants for initial MARA registration must have an IELTS band score of at least 7 
with a minimum grade of at least 6.5 in each sub-test, or an equivalent grade in an alternative 
MARA-approved test. From a date to be decided registered migration agents must satisfy this 
requirement as a condition of their next re-registration.

There will be an opportunity for agents to remain registered while they improve their English.

Submissions about a date for the introduction of testing for registered migration agents are 
invited.

or similar, with perhaps a mention of  how current the IELTS certificate will  have to be. By the 
way:

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very 
clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who do 
not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

Westly Russell

Packer scores in test of English

Elisabeth Wynhausen | August 23, 2008

EVERY time computer engineer Faisal Shaikh failed his English test -- as he did four times -- James 
Packer was a little richer.

Mr Packer is the non-executive chairman of a company that profits each time someone sits the sole 
English language proficiency test for visa applicants accepted by the Department of Immigration and 
Citizenship.

The International English Language Testing System is the most widely used English language 
proficiency test in the world. But migration agents say Immigration guidelines mean most people 
fail it at least once, forcing them to sit for it again, for another $280.

"The problem is that you generally have to get a score of at least six out of nine in each of four 
bands -- reading, writing, speaking and listening," said migration agent Mark Glazbrook.

While universities permit test candidates to average out their results, as long as they reach a 
minimum score of six, the department refuses to allow visa applicants do so. "This is nice for 
IELTS as it means that more people are required to re-sit the test," Mr Glazbrook said.

More than 100,000 visa applicants a year sit for the IELTS test, he said. Reportedly worth 
$250million a year globally, the test is owned by IELTS Australia, the British Council and 
Cambridge University. IELTS Australia is owned by IDP Education, a company jointly owned by 38 
Australian universities and Seek, the online employment outfit in which Mr Packer has an interest.

IELTS did not set a pass or fail mark, a spokesman said. "Each organisation using the IELTS test 
sets the level to meet their individual requirements."

Alex Barthel, director of the academic language and learning unit at the University of Technology 
Sydney, said: "The IELTS test gives a fairly accurate measurement at a particular point in time ... 
and , as far as I know, does this relatively more accurately and consistently than other major 
language tests which rely more on multiple choice answers."

That was not the experience of Mohammed Qasam, 30, who did a degree in banking and finance in 
Jordan, his homeland, using English-language text books. A masters student in accounting at UTS, Mr 
Qasam lectures in the subject at the Macquarie Institute.

But when he sat the IELTS test, his scores in reading and writing fluctuated each time he did it. 
"There's not enough time to read," he said in fluent English.

Sydney migration agent Jonathan Granger agreed that the test was proving difficult. "Ninety per 
cent of all the clients I've lodged a visa application for haven't got the required score -- and 
this includes postgraduates," he said.

• Thanks 1

So do you still have to pick a state in which you chose to nominate you? And stay there? Or can you move if you wish as long as you are staying and working within the areas which are qualified for this visa? As in as long as you stay out of the major cities? My bugbear with going for a state nomination is not having the freedom to move if we want

I’m fixed on Adelaide now, our intention was to go to Perth but after doing some research on jobs etc it didn’t seem there are many plumbing jobs available. I don’t care what visa as-long as we get to Adelaide without doing the English I’m happy lol [emoji23]

Lol let me know if you find a magic answer! Are you going to try and clarify with you agent next week? I had never considered this other visa so going to do a little research. We have 65 points atm, (well when his trades assessment is passed) Darren is hoping to get another 10 with his superior then we won’t go for any state nomination. We have the option to not get the extra 10 and go for the nomination. I’m just holding back on a nomination a little as I want to freedom to move if we get there and want to. I would rather settle earlier into the process and be sure we are in the right place for the kids and ourself, getting into a school community hopefully meeting friends. How to you pick a place you want to stay without actually being there and getting a feel first? It’s such a big decision and I’m sure we would settle wherever we chose but there is just this niggle in the back of my head. 

37 minutes ago, Martynd said:

I’m fixed on Adelaide now, our intention was to go to Perth but after doing some research on jobs etc it didn’t seem there are many plumbing jobs available. I don’t care what visa as-long as we get to Adelaide without doing the English I’m happy lol emoji23.png

Tbh you currently need 80 points to be called for the regional visa.