UK passport renewal

Loulabelle

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to travel to the uk urgently but have just realised that my passport will have 6 months until expiry left from October. Does anyone know if there would be the possibility that I could renew it whilst there?

Im unsure how long I will be staying but will beat least 3 weeks. I know I can use the fast track service and collect from the passport office. Would they accept an application using a temporary address? 

Grateful for any help! 

It is easier and probably cheaper to do it from Australia tbh as you have to book an appointment and pay extra for an emergency one in the UK and travel to an office.  Really easy and quick to do it online from here.  Hubby had his back in three weeks.

Also don’t forget to update immigration with your new passport details so your visa can be attached to your new passport. 

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It is easier and probably cheaper to do it from Australia tbh as you have to book an appointment and pay extra for an emergency one in the UK and travel to an office.  Really easy and quick to do it online from here.  Hubby had his back in three weeks.

Also don’t forget to update immigration with your new passport details so your visa can be attached to your new passport. 

Thanks rammygirl. Did he have to have his photos signed and a countersignature for the forms? I’m hoping I might have an option to get it quicker than 3 weeks. But if that’s not possible then I’d like to have all my ducks in a row ready to submit the application. What evidence did he need to send? Did he have to send his original documents or do they accept certified copies? 

Go on the uk official website for a renewal it is really easy. Took a photo on our phone and uploaded. No countersigned stuff needed. I was really impressed. Cheaper and easier than our Aussie ones. 

Do you actually need 6 months validity?  Only if you are stopping in certain countries. Worth checking. 

Thanks again for your reply. I will check that out. I spoke with the passport advice service last night and they confirmed that I can apply when I get to the uk. They reckon i can submit the forms whilst still here then when I reach the uk I can send my passport by courier and that should be processed within 3 weeks - likely sooner if it’s straightforward. Might try that if I do need the 6 months validity. I’m so surprised at how easy and quick the whole process is!! Thanks again for your info 🙂