register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

wendyjoe1026

Public primary school

Dear administrators and all,

I am new to this forum, and I have a few questions with regard to the settlement in SA. I am recently granted a 187 visa, and my family and I are planning to move to Adelaide in 2 months. I would like to get some information about primary schools. Our plan is to rent a house for the first couple of months during our stay.

So how can I apply for public primary school for my 8-year-old daughter?
Do I choose school based on the location that I stay?
Do I need to provide the lease or some kind of documentation to apply for a primary school ?

I just want to understand how the process for applying my kids for school work out in Australia.

I appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Joe

Someone more knowledgeable will hopefully add to this but in the meantime here's a link that might answer some of your questions: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-and-learning/schools/choosing-a-school/enrolling-in-primary-school

309 visa granted and moved to Adelaide from Brighton UK in 2012. 100 visa and PR granted 2013. Became a citizen on Australia Day 2017. 

Don't bother putting her into school until you've got a long term rental. Nobody is going to mind if she's out of school until you are settled, you don't want to be chopping and changing as she's already going to be displaced, moving to a foreign country.  All schools have priority enrolment areas (called different things in different stages) and are obliged to find a place for a child living in that area. Some schools may accept out  of area enrolments but that's a faff especially if you decide on a school for the longer term but then find you can't get a rental in that area and transporting her every day and the social connectivity get to be a nuisance. Just wait until you're settled, much easier all round.

• Like 1