VETASSESS assessment for the 242111: University Lecturer;

scholar

Hi there,

I am doing PhD right now, and have prior 5 years of lectureship experience,  but no prior research publication in my name. 

i am seeking guidance on VETASSESS assessment for the 242111: University Lecturer to get to get positive assessment . My questions are;

Q1: Is it must to have research publication(s) or only teaching experience will be enough

Q2: In case of no publication can a letter from Head of Department showing applicant, remained involved in research activities like supervising thesis and project  is acceptable?

Thanks and Regards,

“Applicants with the position title ‘University Lecturer’, but with no research duties, would not meet the criteria of this occupation. Teaching duties alone, such as the preparation and presentation of lectures, will not meet the skill level for positive assessment.

Scholarly research:
Scholarly research is one of the primary areas of engagement for University Lecturers. In order to be classified as ‘Scholarly Research’, the work should reflect the following attributes:

 Scientific / scholarly investigation that arrives at the discovery of facts/conclusion;
 Empirical processes take precedence over judgement;
 Contains a bibliography (academic and not generic sources like magazines);
 Caters to a specific audience (the author will assume that the reader has a certain level of knowledge about the field and the topic at hand);
 Published by university presses or professional organisations;
 Academic journals are usually published monthly or quarterly.
Supporting material for assessment
Applicants nominating this occupation are advised to provide evidence of their academic research, which may include verifiable evidence of published articles in peer-reviewed journals.”

You can research this information and more on the VETASSESS website: https://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals/0/Downloads/qualification_assessment/Information Sheet_UniversityLecturer.pdf

• 3 months later...
Hi everybody

I would like some information regarding the following , I am a gastroenterologist graduated overseas  with 8 years work experience and currently in Australia doing a PhD program .

I have been in Australia since October 2015 and previously in my home country  along my job as physician I had an appointment as university lecturer in the medical school for two years.

Currently in Australia I am giving lecturers and tutorials to medical students on an monthly basis with an adjunct lecturer appointment.  I also have extensive research experience and

several peer reviewed publications. 

I wonder if would be possible to be assessed  as University lecturer by Vetasses and if the occupation I need to nominates is medical doctor or gastroenterologist.

Many thanks in advance

On 01/09/2019 at 13:31, scholar said:

Hi there,

I am doing PhD right now, and have prior 5 years of lectureship experience,  but no prior research publication in my name. 

i am seeking guidance on VETASSESS assessment for the 242111: University Lecturer to get to get positive assessment . My questions are;

Q1: Is it must to have research publication(s) or only teaching experience will be enough

Q2: In case of no publication can a letter from Head of Department showing applicant, remained involved in research activities like supervising thesis and project  is acceptable?

Thanks and Regards,

I would also say that if you want to teach in Australia, and at one of the universities here, you’ll need to have an excellent command of the English language.  

Also it is an extremely competitive field and you will need to have a full publications and research profile if you want to be taken seriously and compete properly with other applicants.  Even with early career research fellowships, you will need a publications at a career appropriate stage. I’ve never heard of anyone being appointed without publications so perhaps start submitting articles now whilst you go through the visa assessment process.  It might be worth you looking at a few job advertisements on university websites so you can see what selection criteria they are after. 

• 2 years later...

Hello friends,

I have published a research paper during my masters degree and after my masters degree, I have worked as university lecturer for a year now. Will the research conducted prior to my lecturer work satisfy the requriement of evidence of scholarly research for postive skill assessment as University Lecturer?

Any advise is highly appreicated.

Regards