Return residents visa

superhippymum

Hi. Family and I lived in WA for 5 years, stupidly moved back to UK and after 7 years I have convinced my hubby we should go back. Not eligible for RRV as we've been away for more than the 5 years. Wondered if anyone knows if, if my husband has a job offer letter, we can apply under special circumstances? Or if theres another way?Cheers!

2 minutes ago, superhippymum said:

Hi. Family and I lived in WA for 5 years, stupidly moved back to UK and after 7 years I have convinced my hubby we should go back. Not eligible for RRV as we've been away for more than the 5 years. Wondered if anyone knows if, if my husband has a job offer letter, we can apply under special circumstances? Or if theres another way?Cheers!

You should give the RRV a try first.   You need to demonstrate "strong ties of benefit to Australia" and it may be that a job offer could be seen as benefiting Australia.  Maybe see a migration agent and see what you could do, if anything, to strengthen your case.  Worth the money if you really want to go back.  

Word of caution, though - I hope you have "convinced" your husband, and that's it's not a euphemism for "I've nagged him into surrendering".  There's nothing more likely to break up a marriage than forcing your other half to move countries.   Was he unhappy/homesick the last time you lived in WA?   Some people are just not made to be migrants.

• Like 1

Marisa is correct that you should look at an RRV first - you do need to demonstrate substantial, beneficial ties to Australia and will also need to show compelling reasons for your absence of more than 5 years. But it’s worth taking a look to see if you could do this.