190 or 489? Help the newbie!

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help as getting so confused with visa options!

Basically I qualify for 189, 190 and 489 visas and I don't know which to apply for. My points are;

70 for 189,

75 for 190 

80 for 489

My question is, is it worth trying for a 489 even though it is not permanent in order to get the extra points? We are looking at Adelaide, so the 'regional' element doesn't make a difference as far as I can work out as we would be able to live there either way... is that right?!

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, annalou14 said:

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help as getting so confused with visa options!

Basically I qualify for 189, 190 and 489 visas and I don't know which to apply for. My points are;

70 for 189,

75 for 190 

80 for 489

My question is, is it worth trying for a 489 even though it is not permanent in order to get the extra points? We are looking at Adelaide, so the 'regional' element doesn't make a difference as far as I can work out as we would be able to live there either way... is that right?!

Thanks so much!

Hi, 

Your points don't tell us anything as we don't know your occupation. While 70 might be great for some occupations for 189, for others it is not enough. However, I think it might be best if you apply for 190 (check if you fulfill the specific requirements of the state), it's permanent and with 75 points you might be invited soon (again, depending on your occupation). 

Best of Luck x

First, you are unlikely to get an invite for a 189 on 70 points.

Second, have you checked the SA criteria to ensure they are sponsoring your occupation and any conditions applied

You can lodge an eoi for both even all 

make sure your points are correct. If claiming for English, you must have taken the required tests such as ILETS prior to he eoi. 

Thanks verystormy, I thought 70 was probably too low. Yes SA are sponsoring it and I meet the conditions.

Do you mean lodge an EOI for both 189 and 190?

One more question if you don't mind... I turn 33 next April, do my points change on my EOI if I haven't been invited or does it stay the same? That's probably a silly question but I can't find the answer!

1 hour ago, annalou14 said:

Thanks verystormy, I thought 70 was probably too low. Yes SA are sponsoring it and I meet the conditions.

One more question if you don't mind... I turn 33 next April, do my points change on my EOI if I haven't been invited or does it stay the same? That's probably a silly question but I can't find the answer!

You can definitely lodge two eoi for both, 189 and 190. Your points will change after you turn 33 as far as I'm concerned. 

7 hours ago, annalou14 said:

yes, your points will change. and i think you will need to update your EOI.  Also, if I am not wrong, 489 visa is going to be discontinued from Sept (I guess)