187 relocation after a year within same company

Hi everyone

I have worked under 187 visa for a large company over a year. Due to career progression, i want to relocate to a bigger city within the same organisation. I have good relationship with CEO whom is a friend. Does this violate the 2 year restriction? The visa rule only says 2 years of employment with the same sponsoring company, and it does not mention geographical restriction.

Another way to view this through "genuine effort" test which says if employee stayed over 1 year, he/she can make strong case as genuine effort, given I am still working for the same company as same role. I think this would make a good "genuine effort".

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to lose my PR because of urge to move out of regional city. Thanks in advance!

Are you sure it doesn’t have a geographical restriction? Our 187 certainly did.

Your obligations
You must meet the following obligations:

commence employment within six (6) months of arriving in Australia as the holder of this visa or within six (6) months of the visa grant if you are already in Australia
remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two (2) years.
Your visa may be cancelled if you do not make a genuine effort to comply with the above mentioned obligations. If you have any enquiries regarding your obligations please contact 131 881 or write to the Permanent Employer Sponsored Entry Centre of Excellence nearest you. More details can be found on our website at www.immi.gov.au/contacts/centres-of- excellence/

Edited by rammygirl

The whole point of the visa is to work in a regional area. The clue is in the title of the visa itself...

Being friends with the CEO doesn’t matter. You agreed to work in the regional area for 2 years. 

Apparently this visa is far more black and white for cancellation grounds than the 186, I wouldn’t risk it. 

I'm having a similar issue.

The company that sponsored me for my 187 visa was recently taken over by a bigger company based in Brisbane.

I was granted my 187 PR visa in April and now they are wanting me to move to the city to work with their finance team. 

I am not sure if this is possible as I am on a RSMS visa.

Has anyone had any similar experiences to this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2019 at 16:30, Accountant1234 said:

I'm having a similar issue.

The company that sponsored me for my 187 visa was recently taken over by a bigger company based in Brisbane.

I was granted my 187 PR visa in April and now they are wanting me to move to the city to work with their finance team. 

I am not sure if this is possible as I am on a RSMS visa.

Has anyone had any similar experiences to this?

hi there, I found this https://www.salvomigration.com.au/blog/rsms-cancellations-do-they-really-happen-yes-heres-how-to-avoid-it. In the linked article states

" A visa holder may be able to satisfy the delegate that they have made a genuine effort if the failure to commence or complete the two year employment period was because of a situation beyond the visa holder’s control. Examples include:

• the position was not filled or did not remain viable due to a serious downturn in business activity or
  • financial loss, bankruptcy or closure of the business."

Hope this helps

State: VIC
Birth Country: HR
Stream: 186 TRT (457 to 186)
Number of applicants: 3
ENS 186 Visa and Nomination applied: 19th July 2018 
Additional Document Requested for nomination: 11th June 2019   
Nomination approved: 13th July  2019
s56 request Language fee of partner on  2nd August ( paid it at the same day)
I would like to ask how long should i need to wait for PR GRANT😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, lukeskyman said:

" A visa holder may be able to satisfy the delegate that they have made a genuine effort if the failure to commence or complete the two year employment period was because of a situation beyond the visa holder’s control. Examples include:

• the position was not filled or did not remain viable due to a serious downturn in business activity or
  • financial loss, bankruptcy or closure of the business."

Yes, but ‘to persue a more lucrative career progression’ is not included in that list.... 

On 06/08/2019 at 16:18, Wonderingaloud said:

Yes, but ‘to persue a more lucrative career progression’ is not included in that list.... 

My response wasn't directed at my situation. The genuine effort might apply to this Brisbane person as he is forced to be relocated. Thanks for your reply tho, I get your point.

On 06/08/2019 at 11:30, jackgu310 said:

State: VIC
Birth Country: HR
Stream: 186 TRT (457 to 186)
Number of applicants: 3
ENS 186 Visa and Nomination applied: 19th July 2018 
Additional Document Requested for nomination: 11th June 2019   
Nomination approved: 13th July  2019
s56 request Language fee of partner on  2nd August ( paid it at the same day)
I would like to ask how long should i need to wait for PR GRANT😂😂😂😂

irrelevant topic, can you remove this question?