For All the Auzzie Dreamers... We're Here...

Herbster

Greetings Everyone Thinking, Dreaming, Planning or Waiting to Move to Oz…

First I’ll say that PIO was an invaluable source of support & information for us throughout the Ordeal by Visa Application process, as it really is quite torturous at times, and you wonder more than once or twice if you’ll actually survive it! Anyway we did, learning and sharing along the way & meeting some very special people that helped us enormously to complete our journey to Tas. Now we’re here, arrived May 30th, to flowers & warm, familiar faces, to sunshine and champagne.

The next day our lovely host’s took us down to see our new temp rental home, and while it needs a lot of work, it’s location and position couldn’t be beaten - there’s a lovely deck off the living/dining area with breath-taking views across the beautiful D’Entrecasteaux Channel and Bruny Island, set in open, elevated grounds, host to a herd of voracious wallaby’s come nightfall! The only downside is that we’ll have to move after New Year’s; otherwise we might be inclined to just stay right here forever, watching the yachts and dolphins, growing fruit and harvesting our own veg!

We are around 23 miles, 40 minutes south of downtown Hobart, with its lively shopping areas and cool laid-back ambiance; it’s a city completely comfortable in its own skin, I think without pretensions or affected airs & graces, it is what it is, take it or leave it, Hobart is a place apart! It’s broad, undulating tree-lined streets dissect the city in wide slivers of residential brick, stone and wood homes, an urbane mix of modern-media low rises interspersed with older, characterfull stone and stucco edifices sweeping down to a vibrant waterfront. Driving is easy if you’re lucky you’ll catch the Green Wave and ease through town at a comfortable 45k’s without stopping. Fender-benders seem quite common at the corners of major intersections, sometimes drivers are just a little too laid back & inattentive! There are lots of theatre & Arty doings, museums and galleries, the fantastic Saturday Salamanca market, a modern trade school and Uni, lots of parochial schools with kids around in smart & unusual uniforms. Suburbia hems in from the north and Northwest, Mt Wellington looms over the city, preventing unnecessary expansion in that direction, but affording some of the most spectacular views of anywhere, anywhere! But you must cross the Tasman Bridge to venture East, where there are fewer trees and an altogether different atmosphere – perhaps it’s the sun, or the lack of trees, but there is a tangible East/West Thing happenin’ in Hobart!

Our friends live in Kingston, a nice little town about 20 minutes south of Hobart; it virtually has everything you need now. We were able to complete all our legal obligations in just 2 days. I think coming out earlier in the year and setting up a bank account was invaluable, as was finding a rental before we arrived. This meant that when we needed utilities, we had bank details, when we needed a phone, we had bank details & a home address, same for the drivers licenses and the Tax File # we completed the application on line, so that was all easy. Don’t believe the myth that this place is 15 years behind the times, it’s not! We have good broadband & wireless connections; they are just expensive so it does pay to shop around! We seem to have found a good deal with Intenode, who offer much more for less than say Telstra, who have horrid termination fees as well. Digital TV is here, although we have yet to replace our UK sets, so are spending most evenings reading, internetting & listening to music, and yes, I do bake cookies too! We have been to the theatre & out for dinner with our friends for my Birthday last week. And my sources at the TV shops say NO! your British TV’s will not work here, but if you have room in your container you could bring them & watch your prerecords, I s’pose? But even here, they are fighting over which is the best digi service to opt for…

A couple weeks after we arrived we bought ourselves a nice new car, which took another couple weeks to arrive. We got a great deal, 5-door, 2ltr, air, auto, with 12mts tax, GST, delivery, etc., incld, as well as $1,000 free fuel & a lovely bottle of bubbly, plus 1st 1K kilometer service free for the equivalent of £10,000 – great deal! Service here and expertise of sales people is excellent, we’ve been quite astounded by their knowledge and commitment to assist! I’m used to American service which is a bench mark, but this even surpasses those high standards! However, do beware second hand items; they can be very overpriced & OLD!

Kelly’s removals for Doree Boner in Newcastle-upon-Tyne did an excellent job in moving our furniture & Grace’s handled customs here, with grace! Although it was 3 weeks later than anticipated, it did only take 65 days door to door, which when you consider Tassie has about the worst railroad of any developed country, with containers constantly coming off the tracks, & it took nearly 2 weeks just to get the 250 miles from Bell Bay to Hobart, it’s quite amazing everything seems to have arrived intact or that it arrived so quickly! And funnily enough, in a story actually packed with coincidences, I’m now working casually for Kelly’s Farm Fresh, in Snug…

My OH has just invented a great new method of self-promotion, so hopefully has re-inspired himself to go after the job of his dreams! He starts a 16-week course at the Taffe tomorrow, and I’m sure will find a satisfying career option soon, but he didn’t want to rush straight into work… not after all this palaver!

Tassie definitely has winter, with snow on the high peaks and frost in the valleys, although it is not so dark, heavy and dour as British ones, however, do beware the lack of central heat! There is ample greenery, with tall stands of majestic gums, great swathes of dazzling yellow acacias lining lanes and gardens, geraniums, Daphne and even roses still in bloom, under huge azure skies, and at night the stars dazzle, the Milky Way so vivid you could reach out and grab it, the moon vivid and clear, while all around the soft, contented munching of wallaby’s and other anonymous wildlife… And then of course there’s the water and the beaches, the white sand and deep blue seas, the islands and coves, mountains and forests, the bright splash of city illuminations, the brief flash from the light house, reflected in gentle ripples, a thousand sail boats floating away with your dreams…

Goodnight, this is for Pinhead & others who only think there are only Wingeing Poms in Oz! XX

:huh:

what a fantatic post glad to hear your settled & lovin it by the sound of things good to hear from someone on the otherside

i agree with pio being a great source of info & support whilst going through this roller coaster of a ride! lol & i have to mention you wrote a long & v interesting post back in oct 07 when i was going through the TRA it was the push in the right direction i needed & made me laugh! so stillhere 10 months on but hoping to hear soon if we have that golden ticket! lol just want to wish you all the luck in the world & hope everything continues the way it started coz it sounds great lol

stillhere x

The other week my oh had to work out of Brisbane for a week at a place called Gladstone... on his flight back he bought a paper to pass the time and stumbled upon a holiday article on Tasmania...

The article was in 'The Australian' june 20th issue entitled 'It's a Small World'... and looked at Tasmania as a fun holiday destination for all the family.

To cut a long story short.. the place sounded wonderful, so much so we are thinking of making it our first holiday destination...

So Herbster, your eloquent prose has just justified our desision .. sounds wonderful... so pleased you have settled.

min x:wubclub:

Guest HelenaBooth

Goodnight, this is for Pinhead & others who only think there are only Wingeing Poms in Oz! XX

Hello!

I hope you are well (sounds it!):spinny:

I move to Oz on the 15th Sept, to Brisbane.

You have painted a lovely picture in general!

Can I just ask about the UK Tv's though, we have one and dont know if to take it,

its a 42" HD whatever (husband got it!) are you saying it will not work in Oz? If so we will sell it before we go... I think it comes with an adapter plug though but still, if it wont work

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Have a great day!

xx:wubclub:

Hello!

I hope you are well (sounds it!)...I move to Oz on the 15th Sept, to Brisbane.

Can I just ask about the UK Tv's though, we have one and dont know if to take it,

its a 42" HD whatever (husband got it!) are you saying it will not work in Oz? If so we will sell it before we go... I think it comes with an adapter plug though but still, if it wont work...Let me know your thoughts...Thanks...Have a great day!...xx

Hi Helena:

I posed this very question to such a lovely woman in the retraVision (Tasmanian owned & operated!) store in Glenorchy, Monday, and she said NOPE! the digital system is different for one thing & another you may get sound, but not vision... She said sell em! Now, depending on model & technicals, some TechnoWhizz will inform you its doable???!!! I went thru' this a year ago & decided against bringing our older analogues, however, as we had room in the container, I wished I'd bought my multi-system as at least I could have played my videos to death, & I would have seen for myself the situation... Also I'm not sure how these things travel, although of course they had to arrive in UK by boat... I'd see if you can email a local provider in Brisbane to see what they say, check out all the technicals & read your handbook & hope for the best! Don't s'pose this has helped much... :spinny:

Cheers

The other week my oh had to work out of Brisbane for a week...on his flight back he bought a paper to pass the time and stumbled upon a holiday article on Tasmania...The article was in 'The Australian' June 20th issue entitled 'It's a Small World'... and looked at Tasmania as a fun holiday destination for all the family...sounded wonderful, so we are thinking of making it our first holiday destination...So Herbster, your eloquent prose has just justified our decision .. sounds wonderful... so pleased you have settled...min x

Hi Miranda:

Lovely to hear from you, Life has a tendency to grind along no matter where you live, we still have to earn that daily crust, which tends to be just as hard here as in Jolly Olde England... And we still need a place to escape to for some peace and tranquility.

However, now that I no longer work in hospitality in South Devon! but for the Tassie Holiday Board (in MY dreams!) I say, Come on Down, you'll love it! Especially if you liked the SW, combined with the relaxed family-orientated European ambiance of rural France, Spain or Portugal. It's like a lower key version of Jersey, if you can imagine that.

I think Tass would appeal to anyone wishing to escape the stifling heat & humidity of a true Northern Summer, it would be a cool relief, probably in the mid 70's with longer evenings to enjoy those family barbies... and for Real Sailors, it's Mecca! The guide books and Tourist agencies seem to Big Up the Wilderness features of this island state, which are diverse & many, and you can read about those anywhere, but besides that, it's an interesting and relaxing place to visit.

Heaven knows, I wish we could buy this place, it would make a fantastic B&B location, close to the Bruny Island ferry, rugged cycling country, walking, sailing & so relaxing for stressed out Urbanites. North of Hobart there are amazing beaches, but not like Scarborough, Malaga or Torquay, or even Newquay, more like Dunstanbrough but in a heat wave... Nothing's really commercialized in the sense that we have become accustomed, it's all very low key and seems more natural. We do have great produce, food, ice cream, little cafes & eateries in the middle of nowhere, and you can have your own picnic on a beach to yourself, the only neighbors being a variety of seabirds... Just don't expect any razmaTazz, other than at some local festival or fair... Shops aren't open 24/7, in some of these places there are no shops, to speak of, not what you'd get in the average British seaside place, so it's ideal for the independent traveler, too, caravaning (Shhhhh) is apparently very popular & well catered for, camping, of course is - for the more adventurous - quite a good family experience, but so far as I know there's no Woodlands, Thorpe Park or even Trago here, but it can be quite quirky and unexpected, generally it's much more a case of a holiday here being what YOU make it... :spinny:

Anything I can help with, just ask! Look forward to welcoming you to our Happy Isle!

Love & Hugs,

Guest Els-Bells

Hi,

Tassie sounds lovely,will put it on our tick list of things to do/places to go! So nice to here of other people who are loving it down under,makes me think just how lucky we are to be living in such a wonerful place.

Our shipping took way longer than yours! But it is arriving today so am soooo excited,will feel more like home then.

Lots of luck for your future!

Hiya Herbster ,glad too see your loving everything life throws at you and enjoying your new life.You have made some good points in your post and im sure any newcomers will find so much infomation in there ,thanks for taking time to share it with us and heres hoping life carries on as fantastic as has been doing for you,,

Cal x

Hiya Herbster ,glad too see your loving everything life throws at you and enjoying your new life.You have made some good points in your post and im sure any newcomers will find so much infomation in there ,thanks for taking time to share it with us and heres hoping life carries on as fantastic as has been doing for you,,

Cal x

Thanks Cal - There's more, trust me! :v_SPIN: As anyone who knows me knows, I always have more!! Can't help looking at Life from as many sides as possible!

Just try not to bore you all! :jiggy:

Love

Hi,

Tassie sounds lovely,will put it on our tick list of things to do/places to go! So nice to here of other people who are loving it down under,makes me think just how lucky we are to be living in such a wonerful place.

Our shipping took way longer than yours! But it is arriving today so am soooo excited,will feel more like home then.

Lots of luck for your future!

Hi Guys,

Great to know you're surviving & enjoying Oz, and do trust your stuff arrived in great shape. No I think we were really blessed with our Movers, we agonized over it for AGES, months & interviewed 1/2 DZ possibilities & in the end we went with our gut, who also happened to be the cheapest, & local; so I can't Big Up Kelly's & Grace's enuf!! But of course, the shipping process to Oz is so complicated, it only begins with them filling that container & sealing it... which reminds me of those old American Touristor ads, where your suitcase was taken by some lovely, well groomed airline rep, placed gently on the conveyor belt, & glided serenely out of sight; only to be manhandled and thrown about by a bunch of gorillas before it was thrown into the aircraft hold! Of course if you had American Touristor luggage your precious valuables were fine, but if you'd gone with el Cheapo, then your stuff was history...! :cry:

It will really start to feel like HOME now that you can unpack your precious belongings and really concentrate on getting to know your new Homeland - of which Tass is a great holiday destination!

Cheers,

Tassie Herbie

what a fantatic post glad to hear your settled & lovin it by the sound of things good to hear from someone on the otherside ...i agree with pio being a great source of info & support whilst going through this roller coaster of a ride! lol & i have to mention you wrote a long & v interesting post back in oct 07 when i was going through the TRA it was the push in the right direction i needed & made me laugh! so stillhere 10 months on but hoping to hear soon if we have that golden ticket! lol just want to wish you all the luck in the world & hope everything continues the way it started coz it sounds great lol

stillhere x

Hello Hello! Glad that you are still on the path, and hope that things will quickly happen for you as you hope. Am really glad that I could help in a little way & that Oz will be all you wish for. :yes:

When you're waiting for that Visa, it seems to go on for ever & there is a tendency, if you're not careful, to put your life on hold and stop living... Don't do that! Believe it or not, the UK is a great place in spite of all the nonsense that goes on & all the Rubbish trying to prevent people loving it, (after all there are zillions of Ozzies there!) and Europe is so close which has so much to recommend it, in spite of the language difficulties, chances are peeps will miss that history and connectedness when they leave.

This Waiting Game is actually a great opportunity to do all the things you've put off doing - go to Scotland if you've never been, Wales or Cornwall, whatever you can afford, you don't have to spend fortunes, (in fact it's best if you don't & just pack a picnic or stay in a dump!) but just try & go places you've never been, as it's going to be a long time before you'll have the chance to see them again. If you have kids, let them get an appreciation for their homeland so that they can better appreciate and understand their new country, and can put their feelings about leaving their homeland in some kind of context...

OZ is different, it's not the same as UK with an Aussie accent & maybe better weather, the people & their ways are different, their needs and aspirations might be unfamiliar, it's not the same but not always in the ways people expect or perhaps hope... If you're basically a miserable person, I can't think being in Oz is going to change that, it could improve your disposition, but even in the dreary UK, there is beauty, and goodness, if you're able to recognize it! And if you like 24 hour shopping, Tassie would be something of a disappointment! :wideeyed: One secret of Aussie-ness I would like to share is their Generosity, demonstrated in so many ways, their attitudes, spirit, and friendliness, and it could be at ones peril not to recognize this and reciprocate...

Success to you, Still Here, & everyone playing the Waiting Game; it's just a matter of Time & all this waiting will be behind you and another, perhaps even greater challenge will present itself!

Fondly,

Archived