Regional areas for new 491?

Yes, but I heard this is changing.   I know it's anywhere but the state capitals, but not sure what they define as the capital.  If it's the metropolitan area this is actually quite wide around Brisbane.   I understood that they would be publishing a list of postcodes before the new visas are brought in in November.

9 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

Yes, but I heard this is changing.   I know it's anywhere but the state capitals, but not sure what they define as the capital.  If it's the metropolitan area this is actually quite wide around Brisbane.   I understood that they would be publishing a list of postcodes before the new visas are brought in in November.

If they are legislating a new definition, it probably won't happen until 1 month prior. I read somewhere that they were promising further legislation defining 'minimum income requirement' for the new regional visas by Oct 17... probably get lumped in with that last minute stuff.

Another question is, will the redefined regional areas and/or expansion of regions to 'any state' effect current 489 holders, e.g. will the 489's be able to move to any newly defined regional area in or out of the state that nominated them.

Also, will states even be interested in nominating people under the 491 since it would appear there is no criteria or incentive for people to actually goto that state. Why wouldn't everyone just apply for whatever state is foolish enough to nominate, and then bee-line to the very edge of one of the capitals where job prospects are the best? They have increased the allocation to regional nominated, thereby decreasing the 189... if the states say f-that, we're not nominating people to goto the outskirts of Syd/Mel, will it just flop and result in a net drop?